[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Two questions to conclude my UIL career

Two questions to conclude my UIL career

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Two questions to conclude my UIL career

Postby bradp » Mon May 05, 2008 3:46 pm

1) Why is the continent of Africa backwards on the globe on the state shirts

2) How is 08I-26 three sig figs, not four?
bradp
Perfectionist

Re: Two questions to conclude my UIL career

Postby The3point14 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm

1) that is awesome

2) I've been asking the same thing, it cost me those 2 precious points that I wanted to get that 301! And I see that it cost you (and Roel too?) to get 4th place instead of 3rd. That #. I want an explanation as well!
-- 2008 4A State Calculator Champion --
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby armesty » Mon May 05, 2008 5:17 pm

now that all the seniors are leaving... there arent many left to keep klein and clements in check next year
armesty
Random Spammer

Postby bradp » Mon May 05, 2008 5:38 pm

I believe Roel answered 70, so he probably lost two points on this well.

Nice job on your 1st place score/team score, Josh.
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby Alex_Ramirez » Mon May 05, 2008 5:40 pm

For this problem the answer is going to be the percent difference between 53.43 mi and 52.33 mi. For percent difference problems the number of significant digits is dependent on the number of trailing digits following the decimal place. The result is: -2.0587684842113. Since both underlined quantities have two trailing digits the answer becomes -2.06. The only way the answer could have been four digits is if the results was greater than or equal to a 10 percent difference.

For example, the percent difference between 80.53 mi and 52.33 mi is: -35.0180057122. Since there are still only two trailing digits for the underlined quantities, the answer becomes -35.02.
Alex_Ramirez
Typical User

Postby The3point14 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:56 pm

Oh, I always thought everything that wasn't addition/subtraction was just least number of sigfigs of the given quantities. I can't complain about a 299 though.

Thanks brad, congrats on your score as well as your number sense score.
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby Alex_Ramirez » Mon May 05, 2008 6:05 pm

I thought the same also, but there is an 07 test that has a problem just like this that requires it to be done this way. It could have been an 08 test also, but it's there somewhere, not like it matters much anymore.

And, if you think about it technically, calculating a percent change requires subtracting NEW from the OLD, and then dividing by the NEW. So, technically you are doing addition/subtraction between the two quantities. The divided quantity is merely for percentage purposes only. The result does not give any particular unit of measurement.
Alex_Ramirez
Typical User

Postby The3point14 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:24 pm

I see. That is a good enough explanation for me.

I can really blame my sub 300 on question 36, where I misread my calculator and put the 4th SD instead of the 3rd, haha. It was like .7594 or something and I put .754 instead of .759. But yeah, what can I do now, its all over :'(.
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Mon May 05, 2008 6:38 pm

two questions to conclude my UIL career....oh wait im just a junior =( =( =( =(

1) how the heck did i miss 5 geometry in a row on calculator? (geometry are supposed to be the easy ones =()
2) how the heck did i rank in calculator?
my avatar is pretty awesome
tytia
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby thething2 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Here are my questions:

1) How do you practice handwriting?
2) Why can't the volume of a hemisphere be 4/3*pi*r^3? The other half of the sphere was missing from the picture.
3) Would I have won a tiebreaker for 2nd had I got the SD right? (answered 70, missed 0 crunchers)

All of those are the reasons why I lost 2nd place calculator to a sophomore. Luckily, missing number one didn't cost me number sense, though.
thething2
Determined Spammer

Postby Zac without an H » Mon May 05, 2008 9:22 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 93 and a half percent sure I missed number one on Number Sense as well- due to handwriting (didn't get to go to verification to pick up my test because I was in science). :( My second two was all small and scratchy, and as soon as I wrote it I was mad at myself and kept thinking about it the rest of the test. Then when I missed number three my concentration was shattered.

But oh well. Life goes on. Ahora necesito estudiar para mi prueba espanola de AP manana.
Zac without an H
Random Spammer

Postby Englandude » Mon May 05, 2008 10:42 pm

I have a couple of questions...

1) Why do I feel like I'm never going to be successful in UIL?

2) What the heck is the UIL Capital Conference???
Englandude
Incessant Spammer

Postby peterliang » Tue May 06, 2008 8:57 am

Might as well jump on the bandwagon

1. On CS, why do I always get the question correct that everyone else misses, then miss the question that everyone else gets correct.
2. Why do I still have a neck cramp from state, its being like 4 days.
3. What is up with me and the number 224 ( 224 district, 224 region, 224 state )
4. Why am i not at school
HI/LO

NS 240/86
CA 255/a really # score
Math 272/208
SC 224/117
CS 232/188
peterliang
Determined Spammer

Postby StephenWong » Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm

1. If going to state is so prestigious, why did i feel like such a retard getting 9th in math and 11th in calculator?
2. Why does parking at UT have to be so scarce and so stressful?
07-08 HI/LO
Calculator-237/164 (227,206,206,220,205,164,221,219,237,228)
Mathematics-214/128 (164,128,162,162,200,164,214,142,182)
NumberSense-206/85(206,105,182,155,99,127,147,112,85)
Science- 108/40(40,44,90,58,48,108)

Next meet: Never. :'(
StephenWong
Determined Spammer

Location: UT-Austin, like every other kid who didn't get into Ivy League :(

Postby BrianT » Tue May 06, 2008 4:41 pm

1. Why did I go back and change answers on the UIL Science test?
2. What is the answer of the universe? ...Or at least all the answers on tomorrow's Calculus AP test?!?!?! =)
Done =)
BrianT
Random Spammer

Postby peacaroo » Tue May 06, 2008 11:22 pm

1) Why did Clements lose math
2) Why did I fail number sense
peacaroo
Typical User

Postby stupidityismygam » Wed May 07, 2008 7:00 pm

my avatar is pretty awesome