[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Travelling and other mindless stuff

Travelling and other mindless stuff

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Travelling and other mindless stuff

Postby MistaPotta » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 pm

We're getting ready for our big Midland trip.

Each year we travel to the WTFCTM meet, mostly because it gives us a chance to go up against Lubbock High (the scholarship opportunities there are nice, too.)

At least no one can say we don't travel.

This will be our third overnight trip this year (TMSCA #4 at Beaumont West Brook, TMSCA #6 at Bridgeport, this weekend at Midland, and TMSCA #12/UIL "D" at La Joya.)

I think the overnight trips do two things. One -- they let us go up against some quality opponents we wouldn't usually see until TMSCA State. Two -- it gets us ready for an overnight trip to *knock wood* Austin.

Unfortunately, UTSA is just four miles away from our school. What is traditionally an overnight (or over-two-nights in the case of some schools) our school won't even provide a bus for.

I got to use my off time shuttling paperwork between our purchasing department and our accounts payable department (12 and 8 miles away from O'C, respectively) so we can bring a check to the meet. Thanks Governor Perry!

Oh well, getting too tired to think clearly. Nite.

~MP
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Postby bradp » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:26 pm

"Unfortunately, UTSA is just four miles away from our school."

Unfortunately? I have to leave @ 6 on friday... AM. Because Humble and Atascocita (two HS we are going w/) apparently want to go to Seaworld. I might go straight to the hotel and see how many NS tests I can finish in 5 hours or something crazy like that

This weekend: #9 @ dulles
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby MistaPotta » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 pm

"Unfortunately" as in, I have to hope that no one sleeps in after a long spring break, that they can find me to get their tickets, that they get to all their tests should they not take every test, that maybe more than the ones who expect to win awards actually attend awards.

I rather enjoy the sequestering in a hotel, us all leaving at the same time, getting a good round of practice before that first NS test. We get that with the out of town trips. At UTSA, it's more like "we'll see."

~MP
MistaPotta

Postby Quelloquialism » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:40 pm

I look forward to a rendezvous with O'Connor.

...well, more specifically, I look forward to that uplifting feeling that I get on the bus-ride home. I look forward exploring my new freedoms in life...you see, when you are the intellectual equivalent of a sack of potatoes, people have lesser expectations for you. And the scores at the WTFOMGBBQ--err, I mean, WTFCTM meet--will surely prove this.

[/sarcasm]

Really, though, my goals for Midland are (SPLIT INFINITIVE ALERT) to not die on any of the tests. If my heart is still beating, my brain is still functioning, and my limbs are still attached, I will be able to claim "Mission Accomplished".
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby Kurt » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:00 am

I wish I could go! :( I'm not going to be there on Saturday...
Especially since I'm a senior, and it's one of the two meets we go to that actually gives scholarships. Argh, it's been November since I've been able to go to a meet.

And living 4 miles away from TMSCA state isn't so bad.

Whoever does the fund allocations for our school couldn't care less about UIL. Our football team goes 10 miles out of town, and they get a Greyhound. We go to San Antonio in a....yellow school bus, lol. And from Lubbock to San Antonio is no small distance. At least UIL State funding is done by someone completely different and we got to fly to Austin for it last year.

And Quelloquialism, thanks for the split infinitive warning. Without it, I would not have read the sentence as smoothly and without interruption. ;)
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby MistaPotta » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:26 am

Kurt, I'm well aware of how far Lubbock is from San Antonio -- I used to teach there before moving down south.

And yes, yellow dogs for our four meets (Beaumont/Bridgeport/Midland/La Joya) isn't very comfortable, especially for my arthritic knees.

Sorry you won't be there. What other meet do you guys attend that gives scholarships? (or are you refering to TMSCA State)

Bus leaves in 30 minutes, so I'm off for a while. The hotel claims to have internet access, so we'll see if I update later tonight.

Good luck to all this weekend.

~MP
MistaPotta

Postby Quelloquialism » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:32 pm

Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff