Excel/Access-Based Program to Use at Academic Meets

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Excel/Access-Based Program to Use at Academic Meets

Postby gidyup1313 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:21 pm

My name is Chuck Thompson and I am the Academic Coordinator and Math/Science guy at City View HS in Wichita Falls...I have posted on the Forum several times over the years and I know several of the regular suspects on here from the State Meets in either SA or Austin...Treva Dayton from UIL and I were talking this morning about the lack of either a web-based or stand-alone program similar to the # Entry System UIL uses for the District, Regional & State Meets for schools that are putting on Invitational Meets to use that would allow contestants to be entered by each competing school into the appropriate events, that would then accept scores to be ranked and grouped into team scores automatically, with the results then being linked to an overall score page that would produce Result Pages for each event for both individuals and teams and would then calculate appropriate place points for the overall team competition. (Sorry for the run-on sentence)...

In trying to decide on the next move, I could think of no better place to throw out the gauntlet and challenge one of you current or former UIL stars blessed with the appropriate benevolent desire and necessary computer skills to come to our aid...I personally put on six Invitational Meets at City View every year and I have a makeshift program that is partially integrated and automated, but just enough to be annoying, knowing that a better method must be out there...it's just enough of each to know that this can be done. I also think that if there was a program out there that would do this, perhaps many more schools would be inclined to host meets, which could only help grow the entire UIL program...

So, if any of you are interested in working on this, or want more input on exactly what the program needs to do, please respond to this post or e-mail me...thinking down the road, I don't know that this might even be something that could generate some modest financial success and if so, I would love to set up a UIL Academic Scholarship in the name of the contributors if that is ever the case...let me know if you would like to be part of this effort.

Chuck Thompson
City View HS
940-855-7511, ext 342
cthompson1313@gmail.com
gidyup1313
Typical User

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff