[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Stupid Mistakes

Stupid Mistakes

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Stupid Mistakes

Postby JBennett » Sun May 09, 2010 12:34 pm

So, most of us are humans, and therefore we make plenty of stupid mistakes. Well, some of us.

So, I don't care what Subject it is, but if you want to vent about some silly mistake you made on a test, feel free.

So, let me tell you a few of mine.
On #30 in the Science Chemistry, I forgot to convert my grams back to kilograms.
on #32, I accidentally put No instead of Yes, for no apparent reason other than rushing.
On #33, I thought it was first order.
on #52, I forgot to put the negative sign for my Latent Heat of Vaporization.

Woops.
Last edited by JBennett on Sun May 09, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D/R/S
Science - 200 (1st - 52/106/42) / 218 (2nd - 94/106/26) / 184 (6th - 70/58/56)
Top Team :]
JBennett
Typical User

Re: Stupid Mistakes

Postby Kenon » Sun May 09, 2010 12:40 pm

On math for the angle of rotation one I took the tan of b/(a-c) rather than the arctan b/(a-c). Cost me 9th place :<

On science on the nonnumber force problem, I used cos instead of sin on the normal force.
Won 3A State Physics in 2010.
D1/R/S of Senior Year:
Sci: 166 (1st)| 174 (2nd 20/64/88) | 174 (9th 64/26/84 1st Phys)
Math: 206 (1st)| 150 | 208 (10th)
Kenon
Determined Spammer

Postby sinkokuyou » Sun May 09, 2010 1:19 pm

CLEARED
Last edited by sinkokuyou on Sat May 15, 2010 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
sinkokuyou
Incessant Spammer

Postby shrig94 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:54 pm

I plugged in numbers wrong on tan2(theta), I missed a problem from miscalculating b^2-4ac, I didn't see the slant asymptote problem, I read number 60 as the coordinates of A were those listed, and I miscounted on 38. -.-

Hopefully, this will serve as a lesson to my nerves. Oh well, I guess I should have started practicing before USAJMO which was 10 days before state. Calculator was bad though. I forgot to use 1/3 in the cone volume formula 2 times on accident, and I've never missed it before. >.<

And NS, holy 14 misses. :O

I failed.
NS-355
M-348
CA-274
S-136
CS-160
Shri, AAA, Hirschi
shrig94
Incessant Spammer

Postby hansond10 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Computer Science #4 - did what the writer WANTED me to do and put 20. Cost me 1st Place.
Calculator #10 - Didn't do it. Idk why. Cost me 1st place.
Computer App - Had my header already in before the test, thinking I'd be smart, but forgot to change it to what they wanted it to REALLY look like. Cost me 3rd place.
Mathematics #60 - I counted the y coordinate to be -8 instead of -7. Counting hurts.
Number Sense - On the subsets question, I thought "decimal" had 6 letters. Counting hurts.

Wasn't my BEST performance at a UIL meet, but since I'm done, got accepted, and am NOT getting any UIL scholarship, I know it doesn't mean anything. Haha.
District 1- NS: 233; CA: 267; MA: 264; SC: 208 (Top Chem & Physics & 2nd Bio!); CS: 178
Regional - NS: 252; CA: 275; MA: 314; SC: 186 (Top Chem & 2nd Bio!); CS: 206
State Goals - NS: 250; CA; 275; MA: 300; SC:175 (Top Chem AND Bio!); CS: 200
hansond10
Typical User

Postby RussiaPSJA » Mon May 10, 2010 1:01 am

I got 3rd in 5A for Mathematics, but the dumb mistakes I did which cost me the possible 344 I could've and should've gotten resulted in me getting the 312 that I did.

Mistake 1: I missed #2, which dealt with unions and intersections of lists. I'm fine with missing that one, but the others are just retarded.

Mistake 2: I missed #22, which dealt with angle of rotation. Why did I miss it? Well, the way I do these problems is tan(2x) = b/(a-c), to save myself some time because I don't have a cotangent button on my calculator. Yes, the ti-89 has the function somewhere, but that would take longer as opposed to using tan. Now, while doing the problem, I thought to myself that the reason cot(2x) = (a-c)/b is used in textbooks and whatnot, is because in some instances a-c = 0, and if you're using tan(2x) that means that your answer will be undefined, meaning you can't get the angle you're looking for. Because I had this thought racing through my head, I quickly did the following: tan(2x) = (a-c)/b. You tell me what's wrong with that.

Mistake 3: I missed #26, which dealt with Yip, Yap, and Yep. The wanted the three stones in order of their value from highest to lowest. I answered it from lowest to highest, fml.

Mistake 4: I missed #34, which dealt with someone spending 1/12 of their money every month for the whole year and then wanting to know how much money was spent in total by the end of the year. In short, I didn't get how much was spent, but how much was left.

Mistake 5: I missed #49, the one with the circle and finding the length of an intercepted arc. Now, if you ask me, this is probably the stupidest mistake I made on the entire test. Apparently, I was going so fast that I didn't read the entire question and assumed that P was the center of the circle, when evidently O was, which led me to the wrong answer.

Like I said earlier, I'm fine with missing #2, but when you add the other 4 mistakes to the score I got it comes out to...

312 + 8(4) = 312 + 32 = 344, which would have won the tournament...

FML
RussiaPSJA
Typical User

Postby sinkokuyou » Mon May 10, 2010 7:12 pm

CLEARED
Last edited by sinkokuyou on Sat May 15, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinkokuyou
Incessant Spammer

Postby SumitG » Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 pm

I had five answers with opposite signs of what they should have been in NS. I also had two similar mistakes in Calculator. It was pretty great.
Hi/Low 2010
You know I'm not even sure anymore...I get distracted from my scores by chocolate =(
SumitG
Incessant Spammer

Postby klebian » Wed May 12, 2010 10:10 am

klebian
Determined Spammer

Postby sinkokuyou » Wed May 12, 2010 11:38 am

CLEARED
Last edited by sinkokuyou on Sat May 15, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinkokuyou
Incessant Spammer

Postby klebian » Thu May 13, 2010 10:29 am

klebian
Determined Spammer

Postby sinkokuyou » Thu May 13, 2010 11:19 am

EDITED by me
sinkokuyou
Incessant Spammer

Postby klebian » Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 am

Because I do not wish to say anything that will be considered uncivil, I will simply say that that last response makes me want to say something uncivil.
klebian
Determined Spammer

Postby sinkokuyou » Fri May 14, 2010 11:18 am

CLEARED
sinkokuyou
Incessant Spammer

Postby LogicFlow » Fri May 14, 2010 10:00 pm

I know you guys are mostly doing it, but be careful on what you guys say.....
@sinkokuyou
btw, he's a smart (and mature, I think...well, based on a separate source) guy...he doesn't know me, but I think I know him.....
LogicFlow
Typical User

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff