[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - your goals for the year

your goals for the year

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

your goals for the year

Postby shrig94 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:35 pm

So, it is the dawn of a new year, and I'm sure everyone has goals.
Mine for this year are:
Ace the math test at district, regional, or state
Ace the physics section at district, regional or state
Ace a number sense test at a meet
Break 300 in calculator and science at a meet
Maintain an average math score of above 320 and an average number sense score of over 300 as well as a calculator score of over 250 and science of over 200
Break 200 in computer science at district, regional or state

I'll be honest; I'm not really going to spend any time on math and number sense. I # at the other 3, so I'll put some effort into those, mostly science since I've developed an interest in it.

I'm calling hirschi wins state number sense and math and gets top 3 state calculator and science.
Of course, I have been wrong before, so bring it on!
Well, peace guys.
Shri
NS-355
M-348
CA-274
S-136
CS-160
Shri, AAA, Hirschi
shrig94
Incessant Spammer

Re: your goals for the year

Postby Kenon » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:45 am

Cool, Shri. Science is cool. Physics, you'll notice, has been dimensional analysis on steroids for the past few years. There's always at least 1 physics problem that just makes you go "what is this" though, or at least for me!

But winning in Physics at the 3A level is pretty much possible for anyone. You simply need to study it religiously. I don't know what your top score to beat is, but I'm guessing if you can score over 100 in physics you'll win state.

My goal this year is to be able to answer a few problems on the Putnam exams.
Won 3A State Physics in 2010.
D1/R/S of Senior Year:
Sci: 166 (1st)| 174 (2nd 20/64/88) | 174 (9th 64/26/84 1st Phys)
Math: 206 (1st)| 150 | 208 (10th)
Kenon
Determined Spammer

Postby shrig94 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:10 am

Putnam problems are fun. My favorite one is A6 from 1985.
I solved that on the spot at AwesomeMath during the team contest.
I feel like they're not as difficult as USAMO in some respects; they're easier to solve, but the test requires more knowledge.
NS-355
M-348
CA-274
S-136
CS-160
Shri, AAA, Hirschi
shrig94
Incessant Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 pm

AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby Itryatmath » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 pm

This year I am a sophomore in 5A

what goals should i make for myself in order to be really well off?

im doing math,science,ns,calc, and computer science but i just started learning computer science so idk..
Itryatmath
Typical User

Postby AuSmith » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:34 pm

AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby SumitG » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:43 pm

I mean, I don't think it takes all that much practice to do well. You just need to take a little time to get used to the tests. There's no need to get obsessed. With "knowing what you're doing", I think reasonable goals should be something like:

NS: 350
CA: 270
MA: 320
SC: 240
CS: 240? (That's the max)

Once it gets to Regionals and State though, the tests become more difficult so you'll have to adjust your goals accordingly...
Hi/Low 2010
You know I'm not even sure anymore...I get distracted from my scores by chocolate =(
SumitG
Incessant Spammer

Postby Schismlion » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Ehehe, my goals aren't that impressive.

Science: 200+ at all meets, 260 at the first meet
Math: Actually work on it this year, looking for a 150-200 by TMSCA State
NS and Calc: not doing either
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say.
Schismlion
Typical User

Postby My#SenseIsTingling » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:44 pm

NS: Break 250 in competition and finish a test in competition
Calc: Not doing religiously
Science: Get an 80 or higher on physics
Math: Break 200
My#SenseIsTingling
Typical User

Postby Kenon » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 am

Won 3A State Physics in 2010.
D1/R/S of Senior Year:
Sci: 166 (1st)| 174 (2nd 20/64/88) | 174 (9th 64/26/84 1st Phys)
Math: 206 (1st)| 150 | 208 (10th)
Kenon
Determined Spammer

Postby My#SenseIsTingling » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 pm

My#SenseIsTingling
Typical User

Postby RussiaPSJA » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Goals:

Number Sense: Score above a 150 (I don't practice number sense... and it's eh to me)
Calculator: Average 290+ on UIL Exams, and 270+ on TMSCA Exams.
Math: Score a 360 on multiple occasions.
Science: 280+, I'm sharp in Chem. and Physics and just need to prep them, and then as for Bio.. Just needa read.
Comp Sci: First year competing. I know my C++ fairly well, but because this test is in JAVA I'll need to adjust and I'm not sure how long that'll take :/.
RussiaPSJA
Typical User

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff