Science Bowl

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Science Bowl

Postby HugoV65 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Anyone competing tomorrow at UTPA?
Also, does anyone have any tips on what to look up as last minute prep for the energy category?

To introduce myself to these forums, I'm from a sophomore from Porter HS in Brownsville.
HugoV65

Re: Science Bowl

Postby labrat » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Uhhh, I would say that knowledge of science is important, but being good at number sense/math is crucial. Science Academy will be hard to beat, cause they have really good science and math and number sense coaches. It's not impossible, though. My advice, See if you find one team member that competes in math/number sense.
labrat
Typical User

Re: Science Bowl

Postby SumitG » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah... our team lost to IB. I feel really upset about it, because I honestly feel as if our team should've won. But, the past is in the past. Oh well.

To be honest though, Science Bowl doesn't really require a good knowledge of UIL in the least. It's very different. You have to have a broad "trivia" knowledge base which comes as a result of reading a bunch of books. There's hardly anything logically challenging about it at all; it's all about knowledge. At nationals though, the questions can get pretty tricky.
Hi/Low 2010
You know I'm not even sure anymore...I get distracted from my scores by chocolate =(
SumitG
Incessant Spammer

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff