Post your UIL C/TMSCA #6 results here.

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Post your UIL C/TMSCA #6 results here.

Postby bradp » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:36 pm

!!
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby Quelloquialism » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:39 pm

Lubbock High isn't attending a TMSCA#6/UIL C meet...kinda sad. I liked this meet last year.
Last edited by Quelloquialism on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby mathslug » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 pm

Today was a disaster as far as scores went. I'm glad that I got what I got, but still these are definately my lowest marks of the year. I went to Belton today...

Number Sense - this test had a bunch of crap that i hadnt seen before in a while, I only got to 48 and I scored a 159 which earned me 4th place behind the coronado kids, who really didnt score that well at the meet today. The highest score was a 231 and the other top scores were around 199. Its weird, I got to talk to a few of them.. They actually have a class during their school day for UIL Number Sense. How wild is that?

Calculator - Easy test. I am really bad at calc and I got a 171 and 3rd place. The Coronado kids beat me with the highest two scores being around 214. I dont think that Calculator is their specialty.

Science - THE HARDEST TEST THIS YEAR. The chem section and the bio section laid me down and drove an axe through my head. Thats how bad I felt afterward. I got a 120 and 2nd place behind an A&M Consolidated kid, who scored a 130. I dunno if A&M brought their 'A' team today cuz their top scores were horribly low throughout the day.

Math - The test seemed easy, but very, very slow. I answered very few questions, but still eeked out a 138. Pitiful, right? Well... apparently it was good enough to get me 1st for all grade levels. Is Coronado good at math?

Comp Sci - didnt get to compete. Apparently they changed the time of the event on us. Eh, whatever.

That was me, anyone else?

zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Bridgeport Results

Postby MistaPotta » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:08 am

I'll have the Bridgeport results typed up Sunday. A quick overview of O'Connor's day

NS - Amy 345/Oliver 314/Susan 283/Nathan 203
CA - Susan 255/Nathan 219/Amy 206/Nicolas 176
MA - Susan 292/Amy 268/Oliver 210/Nicolas 172
SC - Nicolas 210/Nathan 200/Susan 182/Amy 156
No Comp Sci - What's up with that? I subscribe to CisTests though, so we'll take it sometime next week.

Sweepstakes total - 4000, first time ever OHS has broken^H^H^H^H^H^Hgently nudged 4K.

~MP
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Postby Quelloquialism » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:26 am

To mathslug:

About Coronado, yeah, those scores do seem pretty low for Number Sense--maybe it's just a discrepancy between TMSCA and UIL tests? (assuming the tests were written by UIL test writers--I thought they were, but this could be an erroneous assumption). And as confirmation, Calculator's not the focus of the Coronado team--they aren't bad, but Lubbock High usually beats them by a fair margin on the average meet. Also, Science and General Math tends to be the greater weak points of Coronado's team.

Was Michael Koetting at the meet? He tends to be the top scorer for Coronado in all four events.

Ahhh...I wish I could get a hold of a copy of this test. If the Science and Mathematics tests were as brutal as they sound, I need to practice more, and I need to know precisely what to practice.
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby bradp » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:35 pm

Were the TMSCA #6 tests that hard? I want to take a look at them. I thought our meet was going to be TMSCA #6 but they had third-party tests (hexco) :(
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby kashhustler » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:47 pm

Klein attended the so called "UIL C/TMSCA 6" contest
before i get into my long rant...let me say this
throughout my years of attending TMSCA and UIL contests which ranged from 6th grade in middle school up til now in 10th grade, about 4.5 years, i have never seen a contest so poorly run, so falsely advertised, and so horribly prepared as the channelview contest. it was sickingly bad.

to start off with, they claimed to be a "UIL C/TMSCA 6" contest. it wasn't. all their tests were written by like the school or something or maybe they hired some idiot to write the tests. i'm sure the only reason they even did the awards the UIL style was because they were too cheap to give awards to all grades. JUST FOR THE RECORD THE TESTS WERE F'ING $6 A TEST WHAT THE HELL IS THAT OMG $6 FOR CRAPPY NON-UIL TESTS IDK WHY I WASTED $24 AND MY WHOLE SATURDAY ON THAT PIECE OF # CUZ I GOT HOME AT LIKE 7:30 AND WAS TIRED AS HELL FROM WAKING UP AT 5 IN THE MORNING CUZ WE HAD TO DRIVE AN HOUR TO GET THERE. the tests were horribly easy and stupid and were nothing like tmsca or uil. it just completely threw everybody off. in number sense we were rushing like hell thinking that we needed to finish as many problems as possible because uil tests are slow but it was so easy like basically a 400 test and we all made stupid errors from rushing. god then after we complained to the stupid lady about the test not being UIL written she told us that the calculator test was UIL written, which it wasn't there is no way it was it was so easy and stupid and nothing like uil. even tho i didn't take comp sci i heard it # supposedly every single question ended in "what will be printed when this is executed" or some crap like that cuz all the problems were computational. on the science test the physics questions were all numbered wrong like completely wrong and the questions were so f'd up. then they didn't even give us scratch paper for math, not that it mattered the math test was retarded too and they had to ask alex after the test to check their key.

then for every test that i took they did not have enough tests and had to print more. for the science test the proctor said to start once the test was handed out. me and like 3 other people from my school got the test 10 minutes after the others did because they did not have enough tests. none of the proctors that i had knew anything, they had to ask us which calculators were uil approved. then the lights went out in all the rooms including the grading room. the lunch they sold, which i did not have, was a BBQ sandwhich which was pretty small too for $5 which is just ridiculous and then a drink and chips added for another dollar. then they didn't have awards for like 3 subjects and said that the schools would recieve the trophies and ribbons in the mail but i bet they won't even send them.

i was gonna say that the only positive thing about this contest was a field that was perfectly sized for ultimate frisbee and i enjoyed that but then i remembered the ditch next to the field which two people from our school accidentily ran into while trying to catch it and there were ant piles all over. jesus christ even the brownies they sold weren't that good.

anyway our scores are basically completely invalidated, if these scores are posted they aren't real. mrs mallery is ordering the actual tests so we can take them under contest conditions some time this week or next.

however we did own number sense (even tho the test wasn't fo real)which was nice our scores went like this 382 Wilyum, 364 Alex, 364 me (Akash), 355 Stephen, 346 Ashrith, and 300 Pulak (a fishie) and we took 5 of the 6 awards.

hmm so there is my long rant about how bad the channelview contest was. if the person that organized this contest reads this DON'T FALSELY # YOUR STUPID CONTEST NEXT YEAR AND DON'T CHARGE $6 A TEST. THATS RIDICULOUS and for anybody else DON'T GO TO THE CHANNELVIEW CONTEST EVER. IT # YOU WILL WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY

man what i would have given to sleep in or go to a well run contest =(
kashhustler
Random Spammer

Postby mathslug » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:14 pm

Harsh...

You have to remember that small schools like channelview generally have their meets run by the school's UIL coordinator which is generally a lit crit teacher or something. They generally dont know the difference between TMSCA and 3rd party, and they generally order their materials all from one vendor, which in your case sounds like Hexco or something. Try not to let this meet get you too far down. UIL A is just around the corner. Hopefully that'll be a better challenge for ya.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby NickR » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:16 pm

Well...I had fun playing ultimate frisbee with Klein, hahaha.

Other than that, I was just frustrated by the fact that those weren't UIL C/TMSCA 6 tests(which was the only reason we went).
NickR
Random Spammer

Postby bradp » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:33 pm

The Comp Sci and Science tests said Hexco on them.... Math/NS/CA just said Channelview.

NS was way too easy. I rushed and finished with at least 2 minutes left. missed 6
CA - don't know about the authenticity.. i don't practice calc
Sci - at least 3 questions had no correct answer choice ... and no one at hexco has ever heard of proofreading. In fact, no one at hexco has ever heard of even attempting to get it right the first time so that little proofreading is needed.
CS - every single problem was "what is the output of this huge algorithm with 20 lines of code?" My eyes hurt after 30 minutes
MA - authenticity was decent but they didn't let us use scratch paper
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby NickR » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:07 pm

Well, for me:

NS was way easy...but I # at it anyway, so it didn't matter.
Calc was way too easy also, but I missed easy ones like the frustrum, linear regression, forgot a zero on one of my answers, and some other dumb random stuff.
Math was okay, I just didn't go fast enough so I didn't attempt enough problems to get a good score

and that's all I felt like taking on Saturday.

I need to take the TMSCA6/UILC tests when I get them sometime this week.
NickR
Random Spammer

UIL "C"/TMSCA 6

Postby MistaPotta » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:04 pm

To all: I've posted the TMSCA #6 NS/CA on the site. Per my agreement with TMSCA, I can only post tests from the UIL writers or from the State Meet.

Bridgeport usually holds a great meet, and this was no exception. They have one of the best hospitality/grading rooms I get a chance to go to. I know most of the coaches there, and they're a great group of kids. And, I feel bad they had to hold the awards late because my school went to lunch (of course, it was still 1.5 hours earlier than scheduled.) The only problem I had was the number of schools in the large school division (4) and that's more a factor of who came (and the weather the past few days) than something they can do.

I'm going to be looking for a replacement meet for that meet soon. We used to go to Humble that weekend, and have gone to Bridgeport he past three years. With Mrs. Cole retiring in a few years, We'll need to find a new UIL "C" meet to attend. Can anyone speak favorably about a meet? We're willing to travel, so distance is not a factor.

To kashhustler: For the record, our meet charges $6, which is actually less than the norm here for our area. We also give out rewards to tenth, and I think our meet is run rather well (of course, you could ask others on the board who've attended it **cough**mathslug**cough** Perhaps Mrs. Mallery will have you guys take it and you could post some scores up.

To Quelloquialism: Given what I know, I'm not surprised by their team's score drop. I'd also like to know how Koetting would do on that test as well. Perhaps Dr. Bottrell will give you guys the tests and you could post some scores up.

To mathslug: I'd agree - maybe thier A players were taking the SAT (they were giving it at Bridgeport along with the UIL meet, a Dance Team Rehearsal, and a Basketball game.) A&M always turns it up a notch when they need to anyway. I also see you used your school name rather than Tyrannosaurs! I'll post some CS results when Nick and the gang take it this week.

To anyone else -- POST YOUR RESULTS!!!!111111twelve.

~MP
MistaPotta

Postby NickR » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:18 pm

Hmm, it appears that the link to the tests doesn't work...does it work for anyone else?
NickR
Random Spammer

Postby MistaPotta » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:33 pm

GAH!

Try now. Links should work.
~MP
MistaPotta

Postby mathslug » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:35 am

haha, yeah...

O'conner is always a good meet. Its run well, and the competition is always just right, not to mention they give out some of the best trophies around. Their second contest I believe attracts more competition that the first one does (judging from last years results anyway), and they offer the tests that they tell you that they are going to give. The students running the meet are hilarious and fun to talk to, and the concession stand has everything that is sweet. O'conner was a fun meet for the tyrannosuars, and if my school isnt going to a meet on the 20th, then I'll probably put a team together and go, because its one of the coolest meets you can go to in central Texas.

The contest at Belton I think would've been better if Chen and his buds from A&M or the top Coronado guy had shown up. I would actually recommend it if you're planning on bringing more than just the math team to the meet, especially if your school has any kind of Lit Crit or SS team. The only complaint from me is that they were a little unorganized, as they didnt tell us that they had changed the CS times sometime during the science contest (Although they were able to tell everyone else... Sabotage maybe?). You might also want to look in to the Medina Valley Invitational as well, simply because they use TMSCA and that they're not so far away.

Yeah, this weekend I had to fight the urge to write "tyrannosaurs" on all the contests I was in... Competing for Dripping Springs just isnt the same. Although, I have to say that it was a pleasant change of pace to have my girlfriend along competing in Lit Crit (She got 6th, which is really good considering that she says she never studies), as she made the time that our school had to spend waiting on SS results alot less boring.

And MP, y'all are going to Edgewood Memorial next weekend, correct? They're not using TMSCA, so I was wondering whether or not I should bother going, seeing in that I need to work on some college applications that are due by the 15th. I think that I also have 2 finals to study for, so I was wondering what the quality of the meet must be like since they must be using 3rd party / homemade tests.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby MistaPotta » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:15 am

I'm not sure what the Edgewood Memorial contest will be using. I know it's not TMSCA, since that's not a TMSCA release weekend (though why not I'm not still clear on.) However, Mr. Martinez there is the math team coach, so I feel a little confident. I suggested Leo Ramirez and Alvaro Leal as test writing sources when he asked me in September. If he chose one of them I know the test will at least be competent. We're just going to keep our skills up. I know the valley has one on the 9th and one on the 16th (!) so it's like an arms race :) Maybe Roel or the La Joya coaches (I know Mr. Saenz reads here) will post some LJHS scores. :)

And I'd prefer to travel on TMSCA #6. It's one of the "district qualifiers" I use to determine the district team, and having three or four travel meets each year makes going to Austin that much more routine (not as many distractions in a hotel since we're in them four times a year, etc.) The rest of our UIL team went to Madison Saturday. I still haven't heard how they did, but I hope to hear some good news (and get some SA area results on that test, since I know they're taking "C" as well.
MistaPotta

Postby bradp » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:23 am

Thanks for posting the tests. :D
bradp
Perfectionist

TMSCA 6

Postby scicat08 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:55 pm

I wasn't able to attend the local meet down here at Science Academy (SAT). I took the Science test afterwards and scored a 194. The chem was a little harder than usual, but I thought the Bio was a little easier, i scored a 70 in it compared to my 42 in the Chem.
scicat08
Typical User

Postby MistaPotta » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:52 am

mathslug: Edgewood Memorial this weekend (12/9) will have NS/CA/MA by Leo Ramirez, but SC and CS by Hexco. *shrugs*

scicat08: If you can, let us know how you did on the NS and CA test we have posted on our site :)
MistaPotta

Postby scicat08 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:52 pm

our school pushes us only in certain events, so i don't really take others.
i also do math, and ill take the test sometime before saturday and let you guys know
scicat08
Typical User

Postby saeben » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:58 pm

La Joya attended the UIL meet hosted by the Science Academy. We didn't take all our contestants because of ACT or something.

Roel Cantu scored a 314 in Number Sense.

This week we go to Weslaco East for a 3rd party test in NS, hopefully by Cuellar or Ramirez or Zapata. Next week we go to PSJA Memorial, again for a 3rd party test. I can't wait for January's UIL A test.

Other scores???????????????????
saeben
Typical User

Postby kashhustler » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:08 pm

hmm we we took number sense today and are gonna take calculator on friday

i'll just post our scores on friday

hey nick you need to go to more contests that klein goes to so we can play frisbee again, that was fun
good job on owning everybody on calculator =)
kashhustler
Random Spammer

Postby NickR » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:02 pm

Yeah, frisbee was pretty fun : P

Aren't you guys going to the Rice tournament? I'm almost positive I'm going to that, so I might see you guys there.

And I also took the UIL C Calculator test this week at practice and got a 279...not bad but I found about 3 more I could've done easily after test >.<

Btw Akash, I think I was only like 1 problem ahead of Alex in calculator, so not much "ownage" imo hahaha.

Does anyone have the TMSCA 6 Math test? I'd like to take it sometime and it would be awesome if it was posted with the other tests.
NickR
Random Spammer

Postby Quelloquialism » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:21 pm

I took the Number Sense and Calculator tests from UIL C/TMSCA#6...

Number Sense -- felt like an easy test, but I just wasn't in a Number Sense mood, and thus went slow even by my standards. On the average test, I make it to around 35...30 for hard tests, 40 to 45 for easy ones. This one, I only made it to 28, skipping one with otherwise perfect accuracy on the rest (not too unusual for me, I guess).
Score: 131 (which, embarrassingly, isn't far from my meet average of 144 so far this year)

Calculator -- another easy test, and I didn't mess up this one for once (at least, not by my standards). I typically do the punch problems or whatever you call them (first five of each page) and then go back to S and G, but on this test (mostly on the first two pages), the level of S and G difficulty was so temptingly easy that I just nabbed them along the way. I went slowly, but my accuracy was excellent, and I ended up missing only two problems I attempted.
Score: 227 (well above average, this is my highest score since the 241 I got on last year's TMSCA#12/UIL D at Plains)
Last edited by Quelloquialism on Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:10 am

You like "They Might Be Giants" Quell? I just found them on emusic, and it seems I only like their kids album.
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Next

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff