[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Region Goals/Predictions

Region Goals/Predictions

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Region Goals/Predictions

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:56 pm

District is finally over! Region is coming up in <2 weeks.
How are you going to prepare for Region, and how do you think you and your team will do?
State chances anyone?
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Re: Region Goals/Predictions

Postby nick3194 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm hoping for first place individual in all my events (math, spelling, computer science, and number sense), and first place team in math, spelling, and number sense.

For math, we have no competition. We are first place team in the region by 150+ points. I would be shocked if we didn't go as a team.

For number sense, we are first place team by about 30 points. I've been giving my teammates tests every day, so we'll see how the cookie crumbles.

For spelling, we actually have a chance to go as a team! We are only twenty-five points away from first place team.

For computer science, I'm hoping for second place team. I'm the only one on my team that is actually taking computer science.
District Goals:
Math - 250
Number Sense - 200
Calculator - 185
Spelling - 100
Computer Apps - High enough to get to Region
Computer Science - 150
nick3194
Random Spammer

Postby FabensMath » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Region 1-3A
Number Sense Teams:
Hirschi
Wylie
Cooper
Bridgeport
Fabens

Math Team:
Hirschi
Wylie
Fabens

Calculator Team:
Wylie
Fabens(High Probability to take wild-card)
Hirschi

Science Team: Last for sure, not kidding, seriously.

Myself:
NS: Like last lol
Math: IDK, unpredictable, I believe I ended in 4th in my region not being far from 3rd. I"ll be happy if I place.
Calculator: 1st or 2nd I ended in 1st in my region, but I tend to mess up over there and I know 2nd place can score higher.
Science: Last year I scored a negative 24, so i'll be happy if i score positive, lol.
Fabens High School, Fabens
District 3-3A, Region 1
2012-3A-Calculator State Champ
FabensMath
Incessant Spammer

Postby chrishuff » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Study Plan: I'll try my best, but the old Regional level tests I am epic-ally failing at are really kicking my ------------------------------------ [Censored]. No wonder why scores deflate, but I must give it all I got and to inflate my score at Regionals compared to what it was at Districts, "SOMEHOW"!

I'm just taking it one step at a time.. I'll worry about state if I will make it. It'll be tough considering all those advancing from District 8-4A, but it's not impossible.
I'm just going to enjoy my time and have fun at Regionals.
It will just be me and Daliah coming to Regionals in Science. My school didn't advance as a team [In other words, no safety net this time]
Christopher Huff
Juan Seguin High School Alumni '12
Retired officially as of 4-21-2012 (Well, I should say its the complete end of my UIL Academics career)

Texas A&M University - Class of 2016
chrishuff
Incessant Spammer

Postby 007math » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:34 pm

I hope i get 1st in math and calculator in my region (currently im 1st in math with district scores and second in calculator). I wanted first in NS too, but now im not sure if i can after seeing D2 results. That's why i was wondering if the D2 NS was easier than D1.

BTW, does anyone know how to combat nervousness? I was scoring well above 250 on previous years districts NS tests and some tests this year, but on the day of actual district competition my hand was shaking at the beginning of the NS test and I ended up with a 157. I really cannot let this happen on the day of region so tips would be appreciated. That usually doesn't happen to me since I've been in so many competitions, but I need to know a way to combat it if it happens again.

I just read that last sentence....so many pronouns and...lol

Ironically, our team has the best chances to advance in calculator...that is the competition we care the least about. lol.

Goals:
NS: 240+
Calc: 250+
Math: 330+
3rd Place State Mathematics 5A 2012
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Individual:
Advanced in NS, MA, CA, SC
NS: Hopefully 1st, but Abhishek from Klein is right behind me. Will Linz is 31 behind me, and Kevin Tian is about 20.
Apparently though, Kevin Tian and Kevin Li aren't going! If so.... then my State chances are WAY UP!

MA: I got 2nd in the Region with a 338 (344 without omits, I knew how to do that question :/ ). Kevin Li had a 348 with omits. Kevin Tian had a 336. We were top 3.
If they aren't attending, then I'm 1st, with I believe a 318 and a 316 in 2nd and 3rd. 4th is right behind that too.
Still, I think that 338 was a fluke, because that was my best score EVER and I cannot reproduce that in practice (if I get lucky, I get close.)
Hopefully, I don't go and get a 260 or something at Region!

CA: So far, tied for first in the Region with a 234. Third was a 206. Like 8 people from 190-199. If I can get good NC accuracy (I have gotten perfect twice lately, and usually miss one or two, with three on a bad test, in usually a bit before 9 min), learn the study guide (+25 minus a few points for time consumed, assuming I can remember all 5 problems), and have good speed and accuracy on the rest of the stated/geom, I SHOULD get top 3 and be moving on.

SC: Top bio or no state. Top bio will be tough. I got 112 at District, so if I can reproduce a 112 or get a 120 (MAYBE 104 will get it, I doubt anything less will get top bio at Region).
Tough.

Team:

NS: Doubt it, only 2 people really practicing. Third seems to be practicing a little more.
Behind by about 30 I believe, from District.

MA: No. Top two teams were 932 and 930, but those had Kevin Tian and Kevin Li. Without them, you get 870 and 846. Our team score was 758.

CA: #1 team in the Region by less than 10 I believe. Good shot, but we have 2 people who won't practice -____- . The top two will have to carry the team, likely.

SC: Likely not. 78 under top team right now.

State chances:
NS Indiv: Great -- Team: Medium-Low
MA Indiv: Good -- Team: Extremely Low
CA Indiv: Great -- Team: Medium-High
SC Indiv: Medium -- Team: Low
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby DentonKnight » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Lol, my region fails.
NS: I am top individual by 79 points even though I had bad nerves before and during the district test (Being the last district to go is scary). I am actually less worried about Region in Number Sense than I was about district because the District results showed that no one in Region is close to me individually, or close to my school as a team. My team got first in our region by 83 points even though a team member didn't show up (another cause of my nerves that will be removed at region). Our closest team compitition (The Colony with a 349) was from our district as well as my closest individual competition (a senior from the Colony with a 184) in region.
GM: My team is unlikely to advance, so my goal is just top three individuals. I don't practice this much and I haven't taken calculus, so whatever. I'm ranked third in my region individually, so if I study, I'll go to state.
CS: I'm a little worried about my team (we have the top score in our region, but only by 73 points), but I'll most likely get top individual.
2012 Lows
Competition/practice
NS: 191/191
GM: 212/150
CS: 176/152
Lit Crit: 75/60
DentonKnight
Random Spammer

Postby FabensMath » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 pm

District 3-3A, Region 1
FabensMath
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Haha, everytime I go into competition to take NS, I'm always like:
"There is no way I'm letting myself get below a 350 this time."
For the first three or four times, I failed, and then I wanted to prove to myself that I could do well at Aledo.
Best score at Aledo, only 300+ besides SAC, but it was a really easy test, so 319 was kinda bad.
Then, at TMSCA State, I really wanted to do well. 274, about average :/ and that "I'M A BEAST! I'M GONNA DESTROY THIS TEST!" attitude netted me another disappointment.
Same at District. I wanted to completely destroy the test, then I take it and feel horribly, like I got a 80 or something. I would've predicted maybe 240 or so.
296, which was disappointing going in, excellent after coming out.
I have no idea what to do before Region :O

I have noticed that I'm shaking and I don't feel comfortable like I do in practice though. And, I ALWAYS have something random going on in my head, that has absolutely nothing to do with NS. I always get sidetracked! In Zetamac, NS/CA/MA/SC/SC tests, everything! I'm not the only one, right?
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby rcoker7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 pm

NS: I'm hoping for 1st individual, and maybe I'll finally get a 300+ in actual competition. My team is awesome, so no worries there.

CA: Hard to tell in individual competition. I hope for top 5, but I can have good and bad days here. My team is also awesome here, so we can probably make it to state.

MA: 1st or 2nd individual. My team has a lot of great people so results can vary, and I'm pretty sure we'll make it to state.

SC: The only way for me to make it is to win physics. I have no idea if that'll happen again. The rest of my team is awesome, so we have a good shot at state.
Region scores
NS: 368
CALC: 308
MATH: 318
SCIENCE: 232(32,96,104)
rcoker7
Determined Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:53 pm

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby michel470 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:56 pm

I shake too at competitions, and in practice sometimes I start to think about something else completely. The latter, I think, is because the more you practice, the more mindless it seems to get. Bad thing? Good thing? I don't know. I do know that when I'm in my mojo and completely focused, everything is pretty peachy! Want to reach that "nirvana" at regionals. :D
UIL State
1st place 4A NS Team
4th Place 4A NS Individual
michel470
Random Spammer

Postby rcoker7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:00 pm

@nsguy1350
thanks! I've been focusing a lot on ns, and it's paid off. And I'm in 9th grade, btw.
Region scores
rcoker7
Determined Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:04 pm

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby rcoker7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09 pm

haha thanks! and I don't plan on going to TAMS, so you'll see me for a while ;D.

My math scores are probably this high because I've already taken all the math classes necessary and my ns speed transfers over. Also, practice has helped(my school has a class dedicated to UIL that I've been in for 3 years already). Calc is just practice, I guess.
Region scores
rcoker7
Determined Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:10 pm

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby FabensMath » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:19 pm

District 3-3A, Region 1
FabensMath
Incessant Spammer

Postby rcoker7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Region scores
rcoker7
Determined Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm trying to get my team to become a force. My coach and I have discussed and new measures will be enforced to try to get a legitimate team.
I don't want our school to retract back into the depths of anonymity like we have since our CS days about 10 or 11 years ago. I'm sure nobody, or at least very few, people know what SEM was, outside of the District, at least in the Math events. Our Current events team and one guy in science a few years back made State.
Now, I hope I have given us a name in these events :)
I hope to continue that in the next two competitions!
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby PokémonMaster » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 pm

UIL C 2013-14

NS: 298
Calculator: 240
Math: 282
Science: disheartening
PokémonMaster
Incessant Spammer

Postby rcoker7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Region scores
rcoker7
Determined Spammer

Postby PokémonMaster » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:50 pm

But if you'll remember, you beat my ns score by 65 at district,my math score(TMSCA State) by 70-something points,my district math score by... wait for it... 126 points.
And most importantly, your district science score beat all of my meet for science this year combined. :P

EDITS: Just making Ross look like more of a boss
Hey that rhymed! :)
Last edited by PokémonMaster on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UIL C 2013-14

PokémonMaster
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:53 pm

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby PokémonMaster » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Last edited by PokémonMaster on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UIL C 2013-14

PokémonMaster
Incessant Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:09 pm

The only test I really think I can make it to State in is Math...tied for fourth on the seven llamas thing...our teams in everything get hammered consistently by Highland Park and/or Longview Pine Tree every year...
Class of 2015
Liberty HS, Frisco - 4A (District 9, Region II)

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Next

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff