[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - An intro of me

An intro of me

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

An intro of me

Postby 8055 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello
I am a newcomer
I would just like to be introduced to UIL
I also wanted to know where I can learn about latex
i would love to learn a lot from this forum
I am currently in high school
I have low scores - so please help me
I will do number sense, mathematics, calculator, and science
Thank you :D
Humility is the secret to success
Typical User

Re: An intro of me

Postby darksaber21 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:38 pm

Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
MTHS - Class 5A, District VII, Region I
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby PokémonMaster » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum, 8055. :D
UIL C 2013-14

NS: 298
Calculator: 240
Math: 282
Science: disheartening
PokémonMaster
Incessant Spammer

Postby 8055 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks...
What is the highest score possible for each of the math UILs and Science UIL?
How do you grade each test?
what is a reasonable score to aim for?
Typical User

Postby darksaber21 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Last edited by darksaber21 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:12 pm

I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Could you tell us which high school you're from? That would help in goal-setting for each test.
Class of 2015
Liberty HS, Frisco - 4A (District 9, Region II)

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Postby 8055 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Typical User

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 pm

The LaTeX guide on the Art of Problem Solving website would be very useful: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki ... TeX:Basics
If you have questions about LaTeX, we would be glad to answer them.

What grade are you in?

Also, as for the "reasonable scores" question, it depends on several factors, such as your grade (seniors should do better than freshmen), your coursework (e.g. taken Calculus as opposed to taking Geometry), your school, and independent study. For a complete beginner, just making a positive score might be something to be happy about (especially for Number Sense, where many people do very badly to start.) If you don't reach the 100-150-150-150 threshold, don't worry. It comes with time, and eventually, with practice (unless you're a senior and have very little time) you have the potential to reach scores in the range of 350-300-300-300 (which is quite impressive, although beatable by the very best.)

If you have questions (and you will,) feel free to ask in the proper place on the forum. There are many things that you should know on these tests, that are very difficult to figure out independently. For example, there are many "tricks" or "shortcuts" on Number Sense, and in Calculator, a TI-89 and HP-32/33 is what you should aim for for your two calculators. Science is mainly self-explanatory.

Here is the Academics home UIL website: http://www.uiltexas.org/academics
Look at what is said for each contest in the "Academic Contests" tab.

Good luck!
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:58 pm

UIL has both team and individual awards.

Waxahachie is in District 15-4A...looking at the 15-4A results from last year, Waxahachie is definitely present, and the scores needed to make region aren't that high. You need to find the UIL coach at your school...if you don't know who it is, the librarian is usually a good place to start.
Class of 2015
Liberty HS, Frisco - 4A (District 9, Region II)

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Postby darksaber21 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:14 pm

darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby 8055 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Oh... That's cool! I never knew my own hs did uil!
Typical User

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff