[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Advice?

Advice?

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Advice?

Postby nsguy1350 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:47 pm

I am stuck in a dilemma right now. I've asked several people but I want as much input as possible so that I can see all my options. I have applied to several summer programs. One is a local research internship, and I was accepted. They have given me a definitive decision deadline of April 1st. I have contacted them and they have told me this is not a flexible deadline. Unfortunately, another program that I want to attend more has extended their notification release date to mid-April (I have heard the date April 15th from people.) I want to attend this program, but do not know my acceptance status. I will call them this Thursday, but if they refuse to give me an early decision, then I am in a situation where I might not be able to attend the program if I am accepted. Has anyone else been in this situation, and if so, how did you handle it? Any advice?
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Re: Advice?

Postby 101dalmatians » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:23 pm

WoW :W
nsguy now started askin for advice.
Well I have a few phone numbers that might work.

(972)-925-5960
(972)-200-3922
and others...
My advice would be to call these people first call these people.
Also, I really dont think anyone is gonna reject u soo it really doesnt matter... 2330/237/UILnerd/Compsciaddict - people would love this
I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby sxk1693 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Is this STARRS and the MIT program? If I were you, I would do the MIT program...... Your choice though.

Again as 101dalmations says, they can't resist the 2330/237/Uil nerd/AMC 99(Although that is not something to brag about...Lets just say AIME Qualifier)/Zetamac 112...

You are pretty lucky though...I would love to be in this dilemma...Oftentimes I fantasize being accepted by MIT and Stanford and having that dilemma(This is excluding financial stuff though).

Tell us more about these summer programs next year...I don't want to miss out.
HIGHS 2013 MEETS:
NS: 220(TMSCA STATE)
CA: 232(B)
MA: 274(District)
SC: 220(A)
CS: 212(VCM1)
sxk1693
Incessant Spammer

Postby Fredfredburger » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Are you talking about MITES? If so then it's really a gamble on your part. You look like a strong applicant, but with about a 5% acceptance rate it's a tough in. Is this other program going to give you meaningful opportunities and knowledge that is comparable to what you'll be getting at MlTES, or is it a tier below. If it doesn't stand up then I suggest taking the gamble and waiting for MITES, but at the same time see if you could find backup programs or research opportunities if that falls apart. Even that late in the year there are several quality programs out there.
MIT '17
Fredfredburger
Determined Spammer

Postby 007math » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:08 pm

I have been fortunate to not be in this sort of situation, but if I was, I would really examine both programs and see what you get out of it. I think you are talking about MITES and MITES is more of a summer program to take classes, although it does increase your chance of acceptance to MIT tremendously if you go. This local research opportunity isn't MIT, but you get to work on whatever you would like (I don't know much about this program so I might be wrong). It seems like to me, you simply want a fun, non-boring way to spend your summer and both of these programs offer that. I will tell you that MITES will probably not tell you your decision early (but go ahead and call just to try). All the people above me have listed out your SAT and PSAT scores (congrats on those by the way), but realize acceptance to MITES is much more dependent on those teacher recs and short essays you wrote. I have no doubt you are an exceptional applicant to the MITES program, which is why I can see you are having this predicament. I know MITES also offers a one-week program at MIT as well as an on line school type option (in addition to the actual MITES program). If you do commit to this research program, and you get into MITES, see if it is possible to "downgrade" to the one-week program or on line school (I would call the MITES office about that question asap). It seems like you could do both programs if you opted to do the alternatives to MITES.

After all this rambling on my part, I also suggest you go to this site called College Confidential and find the past MITES threads. Look at the stats of the people that got in and try to predict how your decision might be. If you want to take the gamble on MITES, make sure you know what you want to do over the summer if you don't get in.

Also, on the research program, is it possible to accept admission and then later deny it? Could you somehow magically have an "emergency" come up after being admitted to MITES and not attend the research program? :P

Whatever you pick between these two, and whatever happens, just know that you made the right choice because say if you did the research program and found out you made MITES, research is something MITES doesn't offer so you are at an advantage in those terms.

I wish you the best of luck in this decision, and once again, do not let what you think may have been a bad choice to affect your whole summer or any other part of your life. Both of these programs are great, and if you end up not going to either, there are plenty of things you can do around the metroplex that involve math and science. Maybe this could be your backup program: http://nanotech.utdallas.edu/community/ ... ation.html
3rd Place State Mathematics 5A 2012
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Yes, I am talking about MITES. It is really tough, and because of the competitive nature, I will not decline the internship for a program that I may very well not get into. Thanks for the response Adeesh, I appreciate it. I have been thinking of those options, and I am debating whether it would be acceptable to later deny the internship after I previously accepted it. I think I'll have plenty of research opportunities, but only one shot at MITES. Of course, I haven't gotten in and I have a very good chance of not getting in either, so I might just be stressing over nothing right now.

Also, Adeesh, I have checked out College Confidential and have made an account. I've been on the MITES thread for a few months now, and am discussing this situation right now on there as well. I'm trying to get as much input as possible. I think I have good enough stats (THANKS GUYS, for putting my personal info out like that) but as you said, MITES isn't about test scores, but other things instead. I truly don't know if they think I'll be a good fit. Hopefully they will give early decisions, but I doubt it. Oh well. I hope everything goes well. Thanks guys.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby E=mc^2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 am

I think 007math is right, you should probably keep both of the applications open. I kinda have the conflict with Interphase for MIT, and the Google CSSI, so because google is really competitive and interphase really isn't, i'm just keeping both applications open.

I applied to MITES last year so I kinda know that if you don't get accepted, you're considered for E2@MIT and MOSTEC. E2@MIT is a one-week project based program at MIT and MOSTEC is a 6 month # program (July to Jan) with two components. Summer part is a project with the direction of a great professor, and you can choose from math, robotics, aero, cognitive sciences, and other one, can't remember. It also has a one-week conference where you get to present your project at a Symposium. Then there is the August to Jan part where you learn to blog about cool STEM topics. It's also like an applications/scholarship help group. They post a huge list of scholarships, your essays are revised, and you have fun talking to your friends from the conference.

The great part of any of the programs is that you get matched with mentors that are MIT grads, so it helps a lot with the application process. I think that's what helped me get in Early, because my stats aren't the best.

If you're dream college is MIT, shoot for any of their summer programs. It's not required for admission...but it does increase you're chances.
CA: 17^2 (Invitational A)
E=mc^2
Typical User

Postby Fredfredburger » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:16 am

Ha, I have deduced who you are E=mc^2, I can't believe it took me this long to figure out. :P

Nice scores in district by the way.
MIT '17
Fredfredburger
Determined Spammer

Postby E=mc^2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 am

CA: 17^2 (Invitational A)
E=mc^2
Typical User

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff