[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - UIL Class?

UIL Class?

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

UIL Class?

Postby MisterC » Tue May 08, 2007 3:43 pm

I am curious to know how many schools have a class during the school day for UIL events (math or science) Also, if a class is offered, does it carry weighted credit?
MisterC
Typical User

Postby bradp » Tue May 08, 2007 3:45 pm

Kingwood has a UIL class...

It's whatever class I happen to be in.

jk

i might get a zetamac class going next year
Last edited by bradp on Tue May 08, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby Kurt » Tue May 08, 2007 5:18 pm

We do. It's not called "UIL" or anything, it's supposed to be for independent study in math...basically whatever we want to do. However, since the UIL Math/Calculator coach teaches the class, we end up doing UIL tests the majority of the time, unfortunately.

And yes, it's weighted.
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby Brahma Physics » Tue May 08, 2007 8:20 pm

We at MacArthur (San Antonio) do not have a class for UIL. We've looked at the possibility of trying to establish an "Independent Study Math" (ISM) class, but that hasn't come together as of yet...and seems unlikely in the near-future due to combination of tight teacher allocations and student schedule conflicts.

Way back when I coached Academic Decathlon (mid-90s--before the program was was cut in North East ISD), we had a class that fell under the humanities course description. It was not weighted, but it was a fantastic learning experience for the students. I'd say if you can add something of the sort at your school, it could be a remarkable opportunity for ambitious students and teachers.
Brahma Physics
Typical User

Postby Celsion » Tue May 08, 2007 9:03 pm

Sadly, no. Our team has tried to talk about the class to administrators but it wouldn't be weighted so no one would take the class. So...still need to try to get them to create the class and be weighted.
Celsion
Incessant Spammer

Postby mathslug » Sat May 12, 2007 6:43 pm

We did have a UIL class at Dripping Springs. They set it up especially for my friend and I for UIL Social Studies and UIL Literary Criticism. It really did help, and I would recommend trying to get one set up because that was the year I placed 1st in region for Social Studies, and he placed 1st in region in LC. There was one problem about that class though... It allowed us to do homework and other stuff instead of UIL. This became evident at state, because neither of us worked very hard at UIL due to the pending AP tests and neither of us placed at state.

I was the person who started the UIL study class at Dripping Springs. The way our school worked the class into the schedule was by making it a "no count" class, much like an off period or something. Our principal liked it that way because the class allowed us to pursue our own academic interests while not putting pressure on the school to weight the class as a math, history, or science class.

I would strongly recommend adding a UIL class to your school. Make sure, however, that coaches have access to the students on their teams. We just had the high-stepper coach watch over us as we did our homework. It wasnt like we were learning and practicing everyday, but now I kind of regret not putting more effort into UIL that year because I know that I could have easily won state in SS had I just known 1 more MC question(cuz the cutoff range of scores were tight, and my essay kicked #. My essays always kicked #! Throughout that particular season I hadnt failed to score above 18 on the essay). So, if you were able to get your entire team in to take such a class, you'd be almost promised a place at state. Another piece of advice: make it a class later on in the day, like last period, because you want to prevent people from doing homework during the period.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Re: UIL Class?

Postby FollowYourDreams » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:48 pm

Can sombody from Bridgeport of Argyle High schools tell me if you guys have a UIL class... because here in Fabens, wee do not, it # becuse my team doesnt have the enough discipline to show up after school for practice...
Can you actually take UIL as an independent study class??
"Effort is the super-power of mind that can transform a FICTION into a REALITY!!!'' Mr. J.O.
FollowYourDreams
Typical User

Postby ZachB » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 am

I don't think there is anyone from Bridgeport or Argyle on this forum. Anyways, we used to have a class at my high school, but it was considered a basic class and only a local credit.
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby FollowYourDreams » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Do you happen to know how many students do you need to be able to open a class like that??..
"Effort is the super-power of mind that can transform a FICTION into a REALITY!!!'' Mr. J.O.
FollowYourDreams
Typical User

Postby Quelloquialism » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:11 pm

Depends on how open to the idea your teachers and counselors are. Not quite the same, but I managed to get credit for taking a third year of computer science at my high school after going through three different counselors, the principal, and my computer science teacher (although the problem wasn't fully resolved--it is being recorded on my transcript as an "Independent Study in English"). I'm the only student in my school currently doing this (there is one other student taking a third year of computer science, but he is taking it for the IB Higher Level credit, which worked out much more easily, I guess).

I'd say any number of students can make a convincing argument for it, provided you have a teacher who is willing and able to take on the extra class.
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby FollowYourDreams » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:40 pm

I think we have enough playas to make a good "independent study class" i hope they do let me.. but, how are you taking it, you have to convince your counselours as well as the teacher... I guess he might be able to do it in his conference period..
Thnks Quelloquialism...
FollowYourDreams
Typical User

Postby Quelloquialism » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Try to get your teacher's support first. That's vital. Show him that you and other students would benefit greatly from it, make the team stronger, give you better opportunities. If you can do that, then put in the request to the counselor or principal for it, with the teacher's support.
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby FollowYourDreams » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:14 pm

thanks dude... I am so into it when we come back from Spring Break...
FollowYourDreams
Typical User

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff