[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - How fast are you with the Rubik's Cube?

How fast are you with the Rubik's Cube?

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

What's your fastest solve?

0-20 sec
14%
21-40 sec
14%
41-60 sec
43%
1-5 min
14%
6-10 min
No votes
10+ min
No votes
I've never solved one of them thingies.
14%

Total votes : 7

How fast are you with the Rubik's Cube?

Postby Celsion » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm

What's your fastest time on the Rubik's Cube? Mine is 49 seconds.
Also, when did you pick up a cube? I started to try to speed cube in late-July, early-August.
Celsion
Incessant Spammer

Postby Quelloquialism » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:55 pm

Hehe, you're missing a poll option.

I've never solved a Rubik's Cube before. =)
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby Celsion » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:56 pm

Woah, I though I put that in there. Maybe max number of options.
Celsion
Incessant Spammer

Postby Quelloquialism » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:03 am

Easily fixable, and fixed. =)
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:21 am

My times hovered around 60 seconds at my best.

I read the booklet that came with the cube in... 2003(?), and started solving them the next day. Then, I regretted cheating. I've almost come up with my own algorithms so I can claim a solution, but I have a little left to finish on the bottom layer. Errr! I found a beautiful way to change the corners on the bottom without moving the edges, but that would mean I need something to do the edges first. Basically, I first did a bunch of simple minded trials and errors to find the algorithms, so I don't even think finding a solution to the Rubik's cube by one's self is even worthwhile... then again, I don't think I would have tried layers if I started a solution on my own. My gut feeling would be to solve a corner and its adjacent edges first, since you could still turn 3 sides without messing up that corner. Similarly, corners first lets you move the middles without messing up the corners. Maybe it will someday merit my time using "semicommutative" group theory.
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby The3point14 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:40 pm

2x2x2 - 10 seconds
3x3x3 - 45 seconds
4x4x4 - never owned one ( even cubes #)
5x5s5 - 15 minutes ( tip: don't lubricate these, they pop WAY too easy ) probably could cut down to sub-10 if I didn't have to turn slowly so my cube won't fall apart

Blindfold 3x3x3 - 21 minutes ( memorization + solve )
Gordian's Knot - 2 days :).

But I gave up speedcubing for blindfolded 3x3x3 and other rubiks puzzles, such as the megaminx.

I think I first solved one in 7th grade, then I found the book of algorithms and memorized them :), I then tried to learn Petrus and Friedrich, but failed at both.
Last edited by The3point14 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- 2008 4A State Calculator Champion --
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby Michael T » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:36 am

2x2x2- somewhere around 10 seconds
3x3x3-39 seconds!
4x4x4- 70 seconds with 3x3x3 redux algs sitting in front of me xD
5x5x5- never

Currently learning Fridrich/3 look LL, the latter almost done, the former not really started except for a few algs i've figured out on my own. I started mid-august of this year, so about two months now.

There should be a massive rubik's competition at state this year xD (assuming I make state >.>; )
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:36 am

2x2x2: 2 or 3 minutes (really cheap cube, but I now have a 2x2 in the shape of a ball... with brail on it, so maybe I'll improve)
3x3x3: 50 seconds
4x4x4: 3 or 4 minutes?
5x5x5: 7 to 9 minutes?
Square-1: 20 or 30 minutes (I came up with my own convoluted solution)?
Impossiball: 12 minutes?

... I want a megaminx.
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby The3point14 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:55 pm

I have solved the pyraminx blindfolded: 4 minutes 57 seconds, and regular in 27 seconds as well. This is the only puzzle I can solve without a memorized solution, blindfolded as well as regular. (not included 2x2x2 lol)

Megaminx :). I bought mine from ebay, I refuse to find a solution to it before I solve it myself, I have been stuck on the last layer forever, and I don't think I will find a solution any time soon.

I will hopefully get:

impossiball
square-1
and a skewb soon.
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:57 pm

Oh, and I got a miniskewb and a minipyraminx for "free" with some sufficiently large purchase at Mefferts... skewb and pyraminx were considerably easier than the other puzzles.
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby AuSmith » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:59 pm

AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby The3point14 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 am

Usually, I just use the orient/permute corners from the 3x3x3, but on rare occasions I can ignore that and do some shorter logical solution.
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby The3point14 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:39 am

I don't know about anyone else but I can't wait to get my hands on the somewhat new Olympic cubes.

7x7x7 , 9x9x9 , and 11x11x11 ... I can't wait to spend more than 4 hours on one solve. HAHAHA.
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:17 am

AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby Celsion » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:20 pm

New time: 36.7 seconds.
:)
Celsion
Incessant Spammer

Postby Michael T » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:17 pm

I learned some/most of Fridrich, down to 32 secs as my best time (OLL + PLL skip, but hey.)
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Postby Celsion » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Trying to learn PLL algoritms. About halfway done with them.
:)
Celsion
Incessant Spammer

Return to Chit Chat and Stuff