[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - First the good news...

First the good news...

Important site-wide announcements will be put here.

First the good news...

Postby MistaPotta » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm

It was wonderful seeing all the kids at the TMSCA meet this past weekend. I enjoyed meeting many of you, and grading 5A papers (orange pen with TDP - that's me.) I love to see all these students working so hard for their coaches, their schools, and theirselves.

Now for the bad news...

As many of you know, I have been quite the absent webmaster for this site for the past year. I do apologize for this.

Due to family and school issues, I will be stepping away from Texas Competitive Mathematics after fifteen years. I don't have the time or energy to give to this site what you students and coaches deserve. For that I am truly sorry.

I will be taking down the site around June 1st. I have spoken to a few people about finding someone willing to continue it, but have been unable to find anyone willing to put the time and money into it long-term.

Thank you all for your visits. You are the next leaders of the world, and we depend on your continued success.

Excelsior!
<3, MP.
Irrelevant since 2007.
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Re: First the good news...

Postby Fredfredburger » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Well that's real sad to hear.

Will the site still be accessible, could we still download the past test after June?
MIT '17
Fredfredburger
Determined Spammer

Postby le cool cat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

I would suggest posting all the tests on a public cloud service such as google docs for future students, and students who are not graduating after this year.
2012 State Champion in Computer Science (4A)
2013 State Qualifier in Science (4A, results pending)
A:318 (96/120/102)
B: 298 (76/120/102)
D1: 328 (88/120/120)
R: 270 (90/112/68)
S: 360
le cool cat
Typical User

Postby NepaliSwag » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm

:(
I am greater than Gary
NepaliSwag
Typical User

Postby sxk1693 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Last edited by sxk1693 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HIGHS 2013 MEETS:
NS: 220(TMSCA STATE)
CA: 232(B)
MA: 274(District)
SC: 220(A)
CS: 212(VCM1)
sxk1693
Incessant Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:33 pm

I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby 007math » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm sad to hear this forum will be shut down (even if I am graduating). TexasMath has been an awesome resource the last 4 years. If I get time, I will see what I can do to find alternatives and set something up. Google Groups and other things like that have forum-like functionality for free; however, they will not have a easy to access URL like texasmath.org.
3rd Place State Mathematics 5A 2012
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 pm

I've thought about asking AoPS if they could set up a forum for us under their "Local Communities" section titled "Texas UIL". If we could get the usernames of 20 or so AoPS users who are also on here, that might work.

Don't know about how the procedure would go or if they would allow it though - just an idea.
Class of 2015
Liberty HS, Frisco - 4A (District 9, Region II)

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Postby 007math » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:08 pm

007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby sxk1693 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 pm

That sounds great!! Just make sure to label each post with the event name.
HIGHS 2013 MEETS:
NS: 220(TMSCA STATE)
CA: 232(B)
MA: 274(District)
SC: 220(A)
CS: 212(VCM1)
sxk1693
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Yes! That would excellent! It is really disappointing to see the forum have to go, but what must be done must be done. It's been really great meeting you guys through here and I've learned so much from the people on here, and I wouldn't be anywhere near I am today without the help on Texasmath and the wonderful people on here. I don't know where I'd be without the forum and the tests on here.

I think we should give Mr.Potter a huge thanks for the support he's given us over the years. Thank you Mr.Potter, and I wish you well with whatever issues you may be facing. I am forever grateful to you for not only this forum, but the things I've been introduced to and the person I've become through the people on here and the resources you have provided. I am sure others can say the same.

I also thought about making a subforum on AoPS. However, I did not know it was possible to make one for a replacement for TCM, and I'm glad we have that option. Could it compare to the original TCM? No, but it would at least be something. I would like to be able to keep in contact with people through a forum-type environment somehow, and AoPS's use of LaTex would be great.

As for tests, I'm sure that can be figured out, and just to be safe, I will download them to my computer. Also, we need to compile the results from the Resulter and save them. Whatever we can salvage from the forum, results, downloads, etc. would be great to have. I know I learned a lot from reading previous posts, and although I doubt we could save them, there are still many things we could save. I would like to give some sort of resource for future classes at my school.

Also, I am worried about finding new members. How would new people discover that subforum? Is there some way we could provide a new link or something to it? It would be great if people of future classes could have access to a resource something like TCM was for me.

Hopefully we can figure all of this out and save as much as we can from the forum. Once again, thank you Mr. Potter, for all you've done. You've made a great impact on my life and many others.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

This should work then...we'll have time to figure out what to do with the tests as well, I'm sure there are plenty of options for storing those.

We'll need to make sure to announce to all members of this forum that a new one is opening. Hopefully everyone gets the message in time.

And, as nsguy said, thanks to Mr. Potter for helping us out so much through the time this site has been up...and I'm sure we'll be able to keep this going even if in a slightly different form.
Class of 2015

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Postby 007math » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Sent AoPS the request. I'll post here when I get a reply!
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby 007math » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm

So I received a reply from Mr. Rusczyk and he says that we can take over the Texas forum since it is essentially unused. I've been on that forum and it's true: there are barely any posts in it and next-to-none activity. How's this sound?
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby E=mc^2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 pm

CA: 17^2 (Invitational A)
E=mc^2
Typical User

Postby 007math » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Downloads would have to be placed into a public Dropbox or Google Drive folder. Sadly, Resulter will have to be lost unless MistaPotta can continue it somehow.
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby le cool cat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 pm

go to the resulter, right click, view source (or something similar depending on your browser), save as anythingyouwant.html wherever you want. open said file. voila.

and looking at the source code, it's not hard to modify it to get newer results.
2012 State Champion in Computer Science (4A)
2013 State Qualifier in Science (4A, results pending)
A:318 (96/120/102)
B: 298 (76/120/102)
D1: 328 (88/120/120)
R: 270 (90/112/68)
S: 360
le cool cat
Typical User

Postby nsguy1350 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:30 pm

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:35 pm

How I think we should organize it:
Have one thread for each of the five subjects labeled " UIL Event X Marathon" in which ALL questions relating to those topics are to be asked.
Have another thread labeled "General Discussion/Questions"
Open new threads for each round of meets - ex. "UIL 2013 District Discussion", "UIL 2013 Region Discussion", etc. that we open as they happen (so no need to go back and do ones for previous meets)
This way we keep the clutter at a minimum.
Class of 2015

Top Scores This Year:
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 am

coOl :O
Thats amazing!!?!?!
I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Return to Announcements