Where we've been...

Important site-wide announcements will be put here.

Where we've been...

Postby MistaPotta » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:17 pm

During this summer, I rebuilt the my server, draal. It serves pages for both my TCM website as well as my personal school site, mistapotta.com. It was a P2-266 Compaq, but I was concerned that the speed wasn't up to par, considering it was made last century.

The new draal is a Pentium 4, Dual core 3.0 GHz. Unfortunately, the motherboard was a BTX, which, being proprietary, made it quite idfficult to find. It took me about a week to find a CPU fan that would work with both the processor and the motherboard, and would fit in my new case.

Add to that the motherboard with an old BIOS, which wouldn't regulate fan speed, so the CPU fan was running at full (5200 RPM) speed continuously, sounding (and acting) like a vacuum cleaner. Since I use Ubuntu Linux, getting drivers from the manufacturer wasn't easy, and I was only able to fix this after a good friend gave me an old HD with Windows XP still installed.

My e-mail service, through uucpssh.org, worked like a dream until they decided to update the program, force all their users to go through the update, and not check to see if the update actually worked. Since you get what you pay for, that pretty much amounts to all my lost e-mail over the past two months, since they just deleted it when it was over three days old rather than try to send it to the new system that I'd already added on to.

On the real-life side, I'm teaching Computer Science 1H (in C#, and since I can't find a good book, I'm in the process of writing one,) Geometry Regulars, and my Calculus III/Differential Calculus course. I'm also working with my O'Connor Math and Science Team to get them to a higher level of success.

So, that's how I spent my summer. How was yours?

~mista potta
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Return to Announcements