[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - (Not So) Silly Arithmetic Game

(Not So) Silly Arithmetic Game

Eighty problems in ten minutes. What's so hard about that?

Re: Silly Arithmetic Game

Postby mathpimp » Sun May 25, 2008 8:51 pm

SumitG, what # resources have you most used in studying Lebesgue integration? Reading the last few posts got me interested but when I looked through the stuff on wikipedia, there seemed to be quite a few gaps.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby SumitG » Sun May 25, 2008 11:44 pm

The # resources that I used were:
1. Wolfram Mathworld (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LebesgueIntegral.html)
2. MIT's lebesgue integration packet (http://web.media.mit.edu/~lifton/snippe ... theory.pdf) I think this one's the best.
3. Fundamentals of Analysis by W.W.L. Chen (http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/lnili ... lnili.html)
4. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebesgue_integral)
5. Lebesgue Integration and Measure: Its Properties and Implications
(http://www.cims.nyu.edu/vigrenew/ug_res ... Tung05.pdf)

I also used a few books from our school Calculus teacher's collection of math books, though I can't quite recall the names and my friend (The one who's doing the project) has them right now. I thought wikipedia's was a pretty good summary. Oddly enough, it had almost the exact same examples I listed for Lebesgue integration's usefulness.
Hi/Low 2010
You know I'm not even sure anymore...I get distracted from my scores by chocolate =(
SumitG
Incessant Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 am

AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby SumitG » Fri May 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Yes, I like Lebesgue for the same reason you do. It seems much more elegant than Riemann integration does, as most theoretical applications seem to be. Though I wouldn't use it in a UIL test, if I had all the time in the world to work on an integration problem, I would work it out using Lebesgue.
Hi/Low 2010
You know I'm not even sure anymore...I get distracted from my scores by chocolate =(
SumitG
Incessant Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Is "Real Mathematical Analysis" something I can find in Barnes and Noble or a typical bookstore like that? I looked when I went to Borders and they had math literature, but most of it was on statistics and calculus, the more basic stuff. Then they had a few books on number theory, one about complex analysis, and that's all. Of course, when I asked for help the lady didn't know an answer because not many people come in there asking for that stuff. We're just too cool for Borders I guess.

In the class at my school, the textbook is "Real Analysis" by Frank Morgan.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby SumitG » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:46 am

Search #. The people at Barnes and Nobles don't have any idea what mathematical analysis is (at least where I live). Though I'm not really sure where you could find analysis books #, as I got most of them from the calculus and statistics teacher at my school. If this comes out wierd, it's because I'm using a Japanese keyboard.
Hi/Low 2010
SumitG
Incessant Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:51 am

I've looked on Amazon and there's plenty there of course. And my school's math department occasionally does book reviews. I'm interested in finding the book Aaron recommended, but I'm also thinking about finding something on number theory. My UIL coach who knew me very well, said that she thought that number theory would be the field I would be best suited for.

So, who knows of some good number theory stuff to read? I know a few concepts, but the formal notation confuses me sometimes so I'd probably still do well with an introductory level book.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby klebian » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:33 pm

can this topic be split?
in other news, I hit 94 the other day! woo!
klebian
Determined Spammer

Postby thething2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:36 pm

thething2
Determined Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Yes, getting back to the actual topic of this thread...

I've noticed now that the requirement to get on the board is almost 90, the threshold Brad set for being a real "man" in Zetamac terms.

There is officially only one woman on the leaderboard. I'm still angry that just because I put an "inappropriate" username, I was removed from the board with my 108. Now I'm back down to a high of 99 according to the board.

Can Markalicious be construed as inappropriate? If so, I could be in trouble.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:14 pm

my avatar is pretty awesome
tytia
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:17 pm

Well Stephen, I'll try not to offend you in the future haha.

Today's weather report for Marcusville, TX:

Typical Texas summer weather, HOT!

High: 99

Low: 88
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Special weather announcement:

An unexpected heat wave has swept over Marcusville, TX, and has caused today's high to raise to 102. We advise that everyone stay inside and stay hydrated with mathjuice to avoid heatstroke and other related health risks.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby SumitG » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Ta-da! 127 today! (Hopefully Kevin Chen won't beat me now)
Hi/Low 2010
SumitG
Incessant Spammer

Postby thething2 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Wow, I am bad. I keep getting 99s and 100s, and a couple 105s. I've probably had 14-18 scores >98.

Which one is Kevin Chen? Or is he on the leaderboard?
thething2
Determined Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:00 pm

my avatar is pretty awesome
tytia
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Gone are the days when my 108 was third on the leaderboard. Now I feel like a has-been. These new 120+ers are ruining my self esteem.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby klebian » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:56 am

reinforcing my 96, which should increase in the next 2 days
klebian
Determined Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:13 am

I was doing pretty well one round yesterday, didn't know exactly how well though because looking at your score midgame is a distraction. Anyway, I had to scratch my nose, like, I had to. It was driving me insane. I scored a 106, my high is 108. If my stupid nose hadn't itched I might have tied or broken my record! Lol.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby thething2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:17 am

Does anyone else have a fear of 100? It seems like every time I reach 100, the next few I struggle on and waste 2 or 3 seconds per problem. I see the change from 2 digits to 3 digits in the corner of my eye, and it makes me nervous.
thething2
Determined Spammer

Postby thething2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Today we have an extreme change in temperature. We have a high of 110 and a low of 24. No need to wear a jacket, though, since it doesn't stay cold for long; most of the day it is in the 100s.
thething2
Determined Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Oh, you beat me Nick... now, it's on lol. I'm not consistently in the 100s though. I'm consistently in the 95-100 range and then I randomly get way over 100. The worst thing ever happened yesterday though. I was doing well, I wasn't sure how well because I try not to look at my score and distract myself in the middle of the round. Anyway, I had to scratch my nose, like, really had to scratch it. So I did, and then I scored a 106, two off my high. In other words, if I hadn't scratched my nose, I may have broken my record. I was angry.

Expect tornados in Marcusville tonight.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:14 pm

So far today we have a low of 93, and a high of 105. At this time the tornado threat still remains.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby thething2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:26 pm

I tend to get angry all the time with that game. The worst part is the backspace key. I use that on nearly every problem, so if I use it at the end, it loses my score. On a few times where I go really fast for around the first 108 seconds, I stumble on the last few and get scores like 105, 106, 108. On my 110, I stumbled at around 100 and finished strong. Problems like 440/5 took me awhile, since I put the first eight and second guessed putting another, so I put 85 or something. Little mistakes like that cost you in the end. I just figure that if I hit the backspace key or if something happens, my score is always improving so I'll eventually beat that score. You scratching your nose is nothing to get too mad about. That stuff happens. :)

Big Fish will never be above Nick Duplan again. I've already got my eyes set on Jeremy Smith, Ray S, Francesco, Christopher Chan, Roel, Sumit G, and maybe in a few decades: MR.
thething2
Determined Spammer

Postby thething2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Check off Jeremy Smith and put me on the same level as Ray and Kevin Chen. Christopher Chan is my next victim. I think Nick Duplan is the tornado you're talking about, Marcus, and it's already hit Marcusville, Jeremyville, Rayville, and Francescoville.

And if I hadn't struggled on 113-75...Christopher Chan would've been looking up at me too.
thething2
Determined Spammer

PreviousNext

Return to Number Sense