[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 232: chdir(): No such file or directory (errno 2)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 235: fopen([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.tex): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 236: fputs() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 237: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 280: copy(d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 281: chmod(): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 295: chdir(): No such file or directory (errno 2)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 297: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.tex): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 298: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.aux): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 299: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.log): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 300: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.dvi): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 301: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.ps): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 302: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/d1ece43a600fe4068d5a30dea4081189.png): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Number Sense Study List

Number Sense Study List

Eighty problems in ten minutes. What's so hard about that?

Number Sense Study List

Postby Englandude » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:19 pm

What variations of problems on this years numbersense tests have you found?
Englandude
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:28 pm

well, i know there are some...but i dont know them off the top of my head...

probably what you should do is print out all of the tests of this year...put them side by side and notice the similarities, and then find how he changed the problems....

this would give you an idea of how he changes from test to test and might see some of the changes and extensions of tricks he could do... here is a good example

Find the sum of the first 12 terms of the Fibbi sequence 1,2,3,5.... answer is 608

He could change this to read....

Find the sum of the first 12 terms of the Fibbi sequence 2,4,6,10....

If you notice the second sequece is the same as 2(1),2(2),3(2),5(2)...
so the answer is 1216
(there is an example of this type of problem on UIL b)
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby Englandude » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Ok. Thanks alot. I will do that tomorrow. I have all of this years numbersense tests on a flash drive, but my printer isn't working. New printer time!
Englandude
Incessant Spammer

Postby bradp » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:08 am

Know these numbers:
prime
composite
perfect
abundant
deficient
happy
unhappy
lucky
unlucky
extravagant (wasteful)
economical (frugal)
equidigital
transcendental
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby Michael T » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:01 pm

You forgot the satanic/evil numbers, brad. (I'm not kidding, wiki them.)
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Postby MistaPotta » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:16 pm

Dont' forget Icosihenagonal numbers.

[unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula]
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Postby Michael T » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:18 pm

What...the...heck.

That's just... wrong.
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Postby Englandude » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:38 pm

If Icosihenagonal numbers shows up on the Regional numbersense test.....
That just wouldn't be fair. lol. What if it did show up though? NOOOO. J/k
Englandude
Incessant Spammer

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:40 pm

I would miss that on a test because I wouldn't have known what an icosihenagon is, lol.

Now I know, I guess. :D
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby Michael T » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:44 pm

a 21-gon = icosihenagon?

#15 on math @ regionals: which of the following is the correct name for a 21-gon?
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Don't Forget These...

Postby Mr. Mustang » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Don't forget your Powerful #'s, your Achilles #'s, your Weird #'s, your Untouchable #'s and of course, our very favorite, the Sublime # (for all intents and purposes, sublime is singular, since there are only two known ones...12 and a 50+ digit monster that I feel confident even Larry won't put on either test...is it just me(us) that think the whole freaky # set questions have gotten out of hand...I know from talking to Larry that the original intent was to cause students and coaches alike to search for, study, investigate, etc various number sets for the pure enjoyment of the sport...however, when you get asked an off-the-wall type of number set that has never been asked before, I really don't think that is the essense of what he was trying to accomplish...what everyone is doing is memorizing the 1st 4-5 numbers of each of the aforementioned sets, with no regard for what or how these numbers were derived...I and most of my fellow coaches would much rather see him limit the type of number set to 5-6 of his favs and then expect you to understand how to identify numbers in that set. Perfect example, although indirect, was the sum of the factors of 28...by knowing it was a perfect number, you then knew it's factor sum was twice 28, by definition...I love that question...The multiple choice question, "Which is lucky?", not so much...(BTW, 2/3 of my team got it, while my top player again left it blank out of principle...both situations are a no-gooder...neither of them had a clue, just guessed...would hate for a State Team Championship to be decided on this...and since I am new to the forum, I am Chuck Thompson, Math/Science Coach at City View HS in Wichita Falls...we are 2A...I enjoy listening to all you guys discuss things...carry on.
Mr. Mustang
Typical User

Re: Don't Forget These...

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:28 pm

Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Re: Don't Forget These...

Postby AuSmith » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:53 pm

AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby zefuri » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:51 pm

i thought icos was 20...
zefuri
Incessant Spammer

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:39 pm

icos is 20.

Apparently annexing on a "hena" makes it 21. ;)
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby MistaPotta » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Icosagon = 20. Icosahenagon = 21. Which is clearly much more. And better.

~MP
MistaPotta

Postby Michael T » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:47 pm

What if I said icoicosagon?
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Postby Michael T » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 pm

WAIT! 21 sides = icosikaihenagon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon#Naming_polygons

I win?
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:02 pm

direct QUOTE:

In many cases KAI is not necessary.

OWNED....MistaPotta wins
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby Michael T » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:04 pm

umm...I can't find that

Where is it in the article?
Michael T
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 pm

cheater, you editted it...

mistapotta is always right, it is his job to right...
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby zefuri » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:54 pm

dang these silly numbers that we will never need they should just use 21-gon
zefuri
Incessant Spammer

Postby MistaPotta » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:06 pm

I was using the context.

~MP
MistaPotta

Postby zefuri » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm

is there anyway that people approach estimation because those seem to be the ones i miss? (no kind in particular)
zefuri
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:50 pm

uhhh well...give me an example or i will have no clue...

basically just round round round away and then add/subtract when you are done
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Next

Return to Number Sense