[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - 07Q-59

07Q-59

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

07Q-59

Postby mathcoach » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:28 am

I am a new math coach and inherited a bunch of past materials. I have been using the TMSCA High School Calculator test #8 from Jan. 27, 2007 (because there was a worked out key!) and am having trouble understanding the set up of question #59.

My integral is: a^2*pi Int 1 to 9 (1/x^2) dx = 185.

Evaluating: a^2* pi [8/9] = 185

a = 25.6

The key shows:

Integral: 2 * pi * a Int 1 to 9 1 dx = 185

Evaluating: 2* pi * a x = 185 from 1 to 9

a = 3.68

Could you help me?

Thanks.
mathcoach
Typical User

Re: 07Q-59

Postby louie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:03 pm

well using calc, using the disc method

pi * (int (R^2-r^2)dx) from 2.5 to pi.....

R being the big radius and r the little radius

R= (top-bottom function) (5(e^(-.4x))*sin(5x))-(-1)
r=(top-bottom function) (0)-(-1)

anyone got an easier way of explaining it?

just plug in R and r into (pi * (int (R^2-r^2)dx) from 2.5 to pi)
that equals 6.64
louie
Typical User

Postby mathcoach » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:49 pm

I guess I was unclear in my previous post. What I don't understand is the worked out solution for that particular problem given with the test. The setup
doesn't make sense to me. I showed it to another calculus teacher, and they got the same answer that I did, which was different than the test solution. Maybe I will scan the worked-out solution and email it along with my question to the webmaster.

Thanks!
mathcoach
Typical User

Postby The3point14 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:36 pm

I do not have this test to look at the question and analyze it, but from my experience, TMSCA has had a few mistakes including wrong answers, solutions, and typos on Calculator, as well as Number Sense and Math tests. These things happen, so I wouldn't doubt that the key/solution could be incorrect.

EDIT: I'm not saying that TMSCA is not a quality test, because it definitely is the best after UIL Releases, IMHO.
-- 2008 4A State Calculator Champion --
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:50 pm

It would be nice to have some more editing before the tests are given at competition, though. It's the most frustrating thing to see

(rad) sin(55 degrees)

and be expected to write the sin of 55 radians.
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Return to Calculator Applications