[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Any advice for improving?

Any advice for improving?

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

Any advice for improving?

Postby YoYo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:58 am

I always get around 200 on calculator. This is my worst subject, and it never seems to go up anymore.
It might be that my crunching speed is slow, but I also have no idea how to do all those word&geometric probs.
I downloaded 09 study guide from the UIL cal webite. If I go over all of these, will it really help?
Are problems always similar to those from the study guide? How do you crunch so fast? (I use hp 33s)

I'd appreciate it if you guys could suggest any ideas for me :)
YoYo
Typical User

Re: Any advice for improving?

Postby AuSmith » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:44 pm

The solutions manuals to old tests really help. The problems are "epsilon perturbations" of eachother.

Though, I think the study guide you downloaded only has to do with the last 5 problems, which are pulled almost exactly from the study guide.

You might prefer one way to the other. I would practice something other than the study guide at the moment (work old tests, read solutions manuals if you have them, ask questions on this forum).

To my chagrin, crunching speed is a big thing if you want to score high. I don't know what good times are for these "new" tests. Maybe someone else will share. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only things crunchers were designed to accomplish were to

1) Let you realize that you can score decently by learning a menial task.

2) # you in to try harder (now that you're competent at typewriting).

3) Establish a good work ethic.
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby mtrmth » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:02 pm

Practice. Practice. Practice. {I know, I know....}

That's the only way I improved... I would pick a specific problem and work it until I got it down. Print off tests from recent years and time yourself on a cruncher run. I managed to get my cruncher time down to <7 minutes just by drilling. If you get to the point where you're finishing them quickly but your accuracy is poor, slow down and focus on accuracy rather than speed, then work it out from there.

Same thing goes for any other problem type, just isolate it and practice 'til you know it.
mtrmth
Typical User

Postby xfilelover777 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:37 pm

ii started calculators this year and on the first test i got a -6 and on the last qualifier i got a 202 the only suggestion i have for u is take time tests and time yourself thats how i improved

i hope this helps
xfilelover777
Typical User

Postby B3ndythumbs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:17 pm

AuSmith, I believe a "good" speed is 8-9 minutes. I bet the craziest people can do it like 7 or so, but 9 minutes should be fast enough. You should miss 2 or less, at least, consistently. Then you are up to pace with your crunches.

As for word problems, you just need to think about it. The first 2 pages are relatively easy, so you should be getting those right. The 40s and 50s word problems are always similiar to one another, so learn those. One is always matrix, one is eq. solver, 2 are calculus. As for the 20s and 30s word problems, they usually have recurring themes, such as clock problems and kinematics. Get familiar with those.

For geometry, you need to memorize all the formulas for 3-Ds down pat. First page is no-brainer. 2nd page is usually py. theorem or a simple trig ratio. Third page is simple application of 3-D formulas. Fourth page is usually inscribed/circumsrbied figures and law of cosines/sines. Be familiar with those. Fourth page is a little tougher, you need to use your head a bit to solve these. 59 is solid of rev or integration; these can be done on the calculator with no cal knowledge. 60 is usually the hardest geo problem of all, so dont try it unless you have time.
9th grade
08-09 Hi/Lo

NS: 277(TMSCA 12)/178(TMSCA 6)
CA: 241(TMSCA state)/136(TMSCA 11)
MA: 312(TMSCA state)/142(TMSCA 3)
SC: 244(UIL A)/136(TMSCA 3)
B3ndythumbs
Incessant Spammer

Postby jahu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:41 pm

does anyone else like to use TI83 for number crunching? O_o
jahu
Determined Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 pm

my avatar is pretty awesome
tytia
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 pm

I think Southwest could get their crunch times under 10 minutes on the old tests and they would break their calculators... does anyone even look at the old tests?
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby jahu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:41 am

jahu
Determined Spammer

Postby B3ndythumbs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 pm

9th grade
08-09 Hi/Lo

NS: 277(TMSCA 12)/178(TMSCA 6)
CA: 241(TMSCA state)/136(TMSCA 11)