[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Test-taking method

Test-taking method

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

How Do you take the Calc. Test?

All Punch Problems First
90%
Page-by-Page
10%

Total votes : 21

Test-taking method

Postby mathguy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:31 am

OK, I'm curious to know: How do you guys go through the test? Do you do all the number crunchers first, or do you go through page by page doing word problems and everything?
mathguy
Typical User

Postby Quelloquialism » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Punches first, stated and geometry on the second pass. Only exception is on tests like UIL A, when the entire first page of stated and geometry are basically over-glorified punches, in which I treat the first page (and sometimes the second) as punches.
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby Celsion » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:35 pm

I just started doing all the number punches first this year, and my score has raised significantly in my opinion.
Last year's high: 129 (District)
This year has been 160+ with 192(Invitational A) being my highest.
I would then do the first 6 geometry problems, and do as many stated as possible. I still need to use HP though, can't stop using the TI calc.
Celsion
Incessant Spammer

Postby thething2 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:30 pm

I always do the punch-ins first, and then go back to the word and geometry. I like to go fast and flip the pages loudly as an intimidation factor:) My main problem is that I go too slow, and don't see all of the word problems on the back pages. My scores have been hovering around 160 this year, which is about a 30 point increase from last year. Last year I went straight through. I don't really see much of a difference in the strategy, but it is a little harder to go straight through because you have to know not to spend too much time on one problem. I have a hard time avoiding that, so that's why I switched.
thething2
Determined Spammer

Postby The3point14 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:18 am

-- 2008 4A State Calculator Champion --
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby mathguy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:03 am

Cool. Thanks for the input guys, I am myself a pre-cruncher. As for the loud flipping--I do that sometimes; it's really funny to hear other people groan!!!
mathguy
Typical User

Postby StephenWong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:19 pm

NUMBERS ARE LAME, anyone can do them, i think calculator should be just stated and geometric and 20 minute test. I do numbers first btw, b/c they go by like 10-12 minutes
07-08 HI/LO
Calculator-237/164 (227,206,206,220,205,164,221,219,237,228)
Mathematics-214/128 (164,128,162,162,200,164,214,142,182)
NumberSense-206/85(206,105,182,155,99,127,147,112,85)
Science- 108/40(40,44,90,58,48,108)

Next meet: Never. :'(
StephenWong
Determined Spammer

Location: UT-Austin, like every other kid who didn't get into Ivy League :(

Postby ZachB » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:47 pm

I have a very structured approach to the test:

1. Do all crunchers
2. Do any problems #66-70 I can quickly solve
3. Work stated and geometries pages 1-2
4. Work stated and geometries pages 5-6
5. Work stated and geometries pages 3-4
6. Do any problems #66-70 I didn't answer in step 2
7. Check last page push buttons using power series shortcuts
8. Generally proof test

This works well for me. I generally work problems from easier to more difficult, with few exceptions. Also, it helps I can get the crunchers in 8 minutes on good days. Oddly enough, I have yet to get a 300 at a meet because I often screw up typing some of the stated and geometries in the calculator. Oh, the humanity!
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby Quelloquialism » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:05 pm

Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby Kurt » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:06 am

I usually go through Fibonacci numbered problems first (yes, I punch #1 twice).

And then I go by primes that aren't Fibbonacci numbers, and then lucky numbers that aren't either of the first two, and then happy numbers that aren't any of the first three.

...Or I do all of the punches, and then do the S&G in order. I guess I really should do the last page a bit earlier though...I can usually do that page quicker than I can do page 4 S&G. For times that I don't finish, I guess I probably would be better off doing page 7 before attempting page 4...hmm...
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Return to Calculator Applications