[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Do you like RPN Calculators?

Do you like RPN Calculators?

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

yes
64%
no
24%
don't care
8%
What are RPN calculators?
4%

Total votes : 25

Postby blahblah » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:28 pm

Please specify a reason as to why you like or do not like them.

Thanks.
blahblah
Typical User

Postby bradp » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:29 pm

they enter necessary are
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:53 pm

only one person from our school uses RPN and we still finish the crunches in 10 minutes at worst, so i dont think they are necessary

i have always used the TIs, so learning the RPN's is too hard and it isnt worth the 30 seconds it would shave off my time
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby mathslug » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:32 pm

RPN all the way. I like RPN because it eliminates some of the complexity you see in the harder cruncher problems. Ti's are just annoying on the cruncher section. They're just so freaking noisey. I hate competing against people that are fast on Ti's because of the incessent clicking. It makes me just want to take their Ti and give them a good whack upside the head.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:36 pm

lol, well that means i have the edge on people, i can annoy them :)
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby polymath25 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:43 pm

If you know how to use a TI with great accuracy and efficiency, then there's really not much reason to switch to RPN, especially when you could use the time you would have spent learning RPN studying geometry and stated problems.
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby Kurt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:56 pm

RPN, definitely. I use my HP for the vast majority of the calculator and math questions.

It's more logical to me, and, due to no parentheses, is a few less buttons to press per problem.

I don't think it takes very long to learn RPN effectively. I started doing calculator in 10th grade and had it down pretty well after a couple of tests.
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:01 pm

taking in to account my laziness, it is too much work

anything i can do to avoid work is the best possible situation :)
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby Quelloquialism » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:40 am

Either works. I'm terrible on punches/crunchers either way. I use RPN (hp33s) because it's what I've always used. I don't think any time advantages it may give are terribly significant. It's completely a matter of personal preference.

(Note: I tend to average around 13 minutes on the punches/crunchers, and therefore I am too slow to have a voice in Calculator discussions. =D)
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby The3point14 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:35 pm

I guess TIs would be more accurate, being able to see exactly what you punched in. I average ~10 minutes for the crunchers, but never miss less than 5, and I use HP32II .If I were to use a TI, I bet I could get near 100% crunchers but not have sufficient time to do the simple S&G, but then again, if I wen't slow enough any calculator would do.

IMO RPN > TI
-- 2008 4A State Calculator Champion --
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 pm

once you get good enough, the calculator you have doesnt matter, to start it is probably more benefinicial to have a HP

But once you can get your crunches under 10 minutes, it doesnt matter what calculator you use as long as you are accurate
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby indianpapu » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:56 pm

I prefer RPN's over TI's because no () in RPN
indianpapu
Typical User

Postby indianpapu » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:58 pm

I prefer RPN's over TI's because no () in RPN
indianpapu
Typical User

Postby DPyro » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:43 pm

It's really a toss-up for me. RPN is usually faster, but TI's complain like a spanked baby if you do sometihng wrong-good for accuracy. I've used TI through 7th grade, and I have an HP-33s for Calc Apps. RPN is honestly not that much faster, but can be more comfortable for number crunchers.

I use both calculators on the test, with my old TI-83+ as a backup 8)
DPyro
Typical User

Postby mathslug » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:55 pm

Does anyone still use the HP 32ii? I have one and I was wondering if anyone else still uses those.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby Quelloquialism » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:59 pm

It's interesting that a good number of people are pointing to HP for speed and TI for accuracy--I tend to have good accuracy (currently on a three-test streak of no missed punches) and terrible speed (usually 12 to 14 minutes for 35 punches) regardless of my calculator (though my speed does drop on a TI--but I think that's more lack of familiarity than inability of the calculator).
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby The3point14 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:26 am

I have used the hp32ii since 6th grade, our school bought the newer 33iii's this year, but I have yet to make a switch. Although, now that I think about it, switching may not be such a bad idea, because I am not very fast ~10-11 minutes, and nowhere near accurate ( never miss less than 5 crunchers ). Why does everyone like the new one better? And does anyone have any general suggestions or tips to become more accurate besides drilling them constantly?
-- 2008 4A State Calculator Champion --
The3point14
Determined Spammer

Postby Quelloquialism » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:40 pm

Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby StephenWong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:19 pm

I dont know what i'd do without my 32sii, it's the only way i know how to do the number problems
07-08 HI/LO
Calculator-237/164 (227,206,206,220,205,164,221,219,237,228)
Mathematics-214/128 (164,128,162,162,200,164,214,142,182)
NumberSense-206/85(206,105,182,155,99,127,147,112,85)
Science- 108/40(40,44,90,58,48,108)

Next meet: Never. :'(
StephenWong
Determined Spammer

Location: UT-Austin, like every other kid who didn't get into Ivy League :(

Postby ZachB » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:01 pm

Everyone on our team used 32SIIs until this year when we had a foreign exchange student start doing his crunchers with a Casio. Oddly enough, he can finish the crunchers faster than the rest of the team, excluding myself. I think it depends on the individual situation of the student whether or not an RPN is better. I can think things through and operate better on an RPN, so thats what I use. However, some people are probably much better off using a TI or another calculator with algebraic notation. As a side note, I tried to switch to a 33S two years ago and found it unbearable. The keys are so "clicky" and closely spaced, while the enter key is tiny. I have since stuck to my 32SII, and I perform very successfully with it.

P.S. Our sponsor is really old and has lots of HP32SII's just laying around. For those of you not in such a convenient situation, the old HP's cost around $200 dollars on the internet. So taking cost into consideration, you can either go with a 33S, which I find unwieldy, or an algebraic notation calulator like a TI.
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby aalindsey100 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:47 pm

I use HP32ii and a TI 84 on the calculator test... it is the only thing Im really good at lol... I use a TI on the science test so that Im always prepared it I need to answer any rate law k-constant problems on the chemistry section... lol... Im not a physics person so I dont ever do well in physics unless it is nuclear physics and then it is on that fuzzy line between chemistry and physics lol... I do love my hp32ii but my brother and all the freshmen and sophmoores on the team use hp33's... I tried to change once... but how does the saying go... you cant teach an old dog new tricks... lol... it was awful... I LOVE the 32's... I use them for class, for math team, for balancing my check book, for every little calculation that is too complex for my little brain to solve alone... I use it at least once a day... it goes with me everywhere... it is the perfect calculator...
aalindsey100
Random Spammer

Postby blahblah » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:21 pm

I always forget that the RPN Calculator only remembers the last 4 numbers entered, and end up getting a lot of the questions wrong.
blahblah
Typical User

Postby Kurt » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby hustonstreet » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:46 pm

hustonstreet
Typical User

Postby Kurt » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:34 pm

He might have been talking about some of the S&G problems?
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Next

Return to Calculator Applications