[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Any tips for a middle schooler going to state?

Any tips for a middle schooler going to state?

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

Any tips for a middle schooler going to state?

Postby xrabanastre4400 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi forum.

Just wondering - I'm in the 7th grade (I know that many of you are in high school so, at first, I was sorta apprehensive, but beggars can't be choosers, can they?) and I'm going to state next week.

I started Calculator Apps this year with a hp-33s (RPN) and well, basically, the most I've ever hit is ~230.

I can finish the number crunchers around 15-20 minutes (Meh, I am trying to get better at this, hopefully I'll be a lot faster by next year) but I always get stuck doing various word/geo problems, and my teachers at school aren't the best at teaching this stuff so I end up placing low.

Can any of you offer some tips? Like, maybe some study guide or well, tips. It'd be much appreciated.

Also, just wondering, is a 200-230 score good for middle school(state-wise)? Again, I haven't had much experience with UIL Calculator, so, yeah.
xrabanastre4400

Re: Any tips for a middle schooler going to state?

Postby austorior » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Well I guess I am kinda late by answering your question after state... But this should be helpful for your senior year in middle school.:)

I am not sure what my cruncher time in middle school was, but I used the same calculator as you.
The types of word problems in middle school and highschool calculator application tests are repetitive in some ways. The methods you use to solve the problems are always similar.
This means that as long as you spend time practicing it, your score WILL go up.

But the best way to study for this test is not just by doing hundreds of practice tests, but actually figure out how to do the problems you skipped/missed in each test. This may be difficult since you said your teachers are not the best, but try to ask them more see if they are helpful to some extent.

You can post the questions you are not sure about on this forum, I am sure a lot of us will try to help you and explain the solutions thoroughly. (I think internet may be your best friend if you are not near a library. If you are near a library, try to look for some high school textbooks like Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II)

Your current score is not bad, but it is very possible for you to increase your score significantly during the summer. (Give your teacher/friends/competitions a surprise at your first meet!) My usual practice score was above 360 at the end of 8th grade. But I remember my score during 7th grade was about 260, not that different from yours!
austorior
Determined Spammer

Re: Any tips for a middle schooler going to state?

Postby AuSmith » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 am

Hi! I missed your post as well... and I don't think my scores would be quite as relevant, as they were around the turn of the decade. But, if you have any problems you can't figure out, be sure to ask on this forum. The primary reason that I'm on this forum still is so I can try to coach people that have no coach.

Later,
Aaron
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Return to Calculator Applications