WORD PROBLEM HELP!

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

WORD PROBLEM HELP!

Postby math_geek2010 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:53 pm

The loop of a lasso is 3 ft in diameter. A calf's head is 13 inches in diameter. What is the maximum angle within which a rider 15 ft from the calf may throw the lasso to lasso the calf? Assume that the calf and rider are roughly the same elevation, that the calf and rider are not moving and that the angle is measured by the rope extended from the rider to the middle of the loop. how do i solve this?
thanks Math_geek 2010
math_geek2010
Typical User

Re: WORD PROBLEM HELP!

Postby calcguy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:16 pm

This is problem 10H-27. It's helpful when you give the problem number and answer when requesting advice.

This is a geometry problem so you should draw a diagram. Draw a 13 inch (scaled) diameter circle to represent the calf head. Now draw two 36 inch diameter circles so that the calf head is internally tangent to each large circle, left sides of the circles touching each other and right sides touching. For small (less than ~10°) angles you can use Θ = s/r where the arc length, s, is the distance between the centers of the large circles, 23 inches, and the radius, r, is the length of the rope, 15 ft = 180 inches. So you get Θ = 23/180 = 0.128 rad.
calcguy
Typical User

Return to Calculator Applications