[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Increasing speed

Increasing speed

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

Increasing speed

Postby nsguy1350 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:01 pm

My speed su.cks. I can finish the NCs in 10-11 min, although I'd like to get it down 1-2 more minutes, to around 8:30 or so. My troubles are in geom/stated. I really need help on how to solve these quickly, because I find my speed horrendous. My highest score ever, twice, is a 199, to get a range on my score (lately I've been doing worse, with more practice.) I don't answer most of the geom/stated, and I get many of them wrong if I try. I don't even get to attempt some that I know, and most I just plain do not know how to do. It's very frustrating!!!!
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Re: Increasing speed

Postby FabensMath » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:53 pm

I do the crunchers in 12min., but i can still score 230ish because i can work geom. and stated quickly enough, i guess just practice over old test to pick up recognition speed, because the quickest way to solve them is recognizing the type of problem, then coming up with a solution, and then actually solving. The geometry ones are really basic formulas, 1st page is simple figures, 2nd is simple right triangles(Pythagorean theorem, finding angle, etc.) , 3rd is simple 3-D figures(finding volume, radius, surface area, etc.), 4th page is inscribed and circumscribed circles, scale triangles dealing with law of sines and law of cosines, 5th page is 3-D figures put together(sometimes 2-3 step problems) these are actually not hard, but if you don't know basic solid geometry you can't really get these quick enough.6th page i usually only try the calculus problem(59) which deals with integrals and derivatives, and problem 60 is a complicated geometry problem, 7th page is just the problems from the study list, i try to find shortcuts to these by copying the method of solution that TMSCA gives with it's solutions key.
For stated problems, 1st and 2nd page are pretty easy you can even do many of them on your HP, unit conversions and all that use your 89. Page 4,5 leave to last, they tend to be the hardest ones, if you look at the study list, most problems come from these pages out of previous tests(not all of them are hard, just some). Page 5 #46 is scaling principles in which you do a proportion trying to keep you dimensions the same. #47 is linear interpolation, you probably know how to do this by hand, but the quickest way would be your HP, read the manual about this, their really easy problems you can't afford to miss. #48 is just a solver HP or 89, doesn't matter. Page 6 #56 is just derivatives and integrals, you can do those easy. #57 is just a related rates problem, i never try this one. #58 is just a matrix, on 89 they take a while if your solving for a variable inside the matrix, but again, it's an easy problem you can't afford to miss. Page #7, same thing, look for the solutions key that TMSCA provides for the quickest solutions.

Since we lost our thread for the Study List, i'll try to put it all up again once I have free time, maybe next week.
Fabens High School, Fabens
District 3-3A, Region 1
2012-3A-Calculator State Champ
FabensMath
Incessant Spammer

Postby kvalle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:51 pm

kvalle
Typical User

Postby BlasianAsian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Holy crap. Number crunchers in 8 min!? How can you manage not to push a wrong button or something? Wow.
Num Sense: -320
Calculator: -140
Math: -120
Science: -69696969696969
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:09 pm

I read previous threads about 8 min or so.
I can do well in 10 min, or I can do horribly.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Return to Calculator Applications