[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - I can't really improve

I can't really improve

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

I can't really improve

Postby smeag » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Hello again. I can't get better in calculator. I just started and my scores are only 125-150. I'm trying to get 200. Can someone please help me on the types of problems for this section? I am great at the number cruncher (then again, everyone is). But I can also answer the geometry. I struggle on the stated problems. Just like nsguy said, there is a "sort of" guide or outline for the test. Please give me a basic outline for the stated problems. I appreciate all of the efforts that people put in to help me out..
Eels always look like they just told a joke, and are waiting for a response.
smeag
Incessant Spammer

Re: I can't really improve

Postby nsguy1350 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:54 pm

According to the "UIL Calculator Application Contest Manual", the following types of problems appear on the test.

Problems Involving Mainly Translation (going from English to Math, with little equation solving. These are the easy ones.)
Problems Involving Unit Conversions (self-explanatory)
Problems Invloving Rates (some form of d = rt)
--- includes acceleration problems, trajectory problems
Problems Involving Geometric Modeling
Problems Involving Functions
--- includes Features on a Graph, Equation Writing, Compound Interest/Exponential Growth and Decay, Linear Interpolation/Extrapolation, Percent Problems, Logarithmic Solutions
Problems Invloving Transcendental Functions (Solver Problems)
Problems Requiring Scaling Principles
Best Fit Lines
Problems Involving Limits
Problems Involving Matrix Algebra
Problems Involving Calculus (Differential Calculus and Integral Calculus)
--- includes Related Rates, Surfaces of Revolution, Maxima and Minima
"Special" Stated Problems: Integers, SDs, Dollar Signs

Sorry, going into detail into all of these would take forever. Try to get a copy of the manual from your coach, and see if he can find one if he doesn't have any.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby smeag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 am

Unfortunately, I don't have a coach in my school... I don't have a coach for number sense, math, science or calculator. All I've done so far is through self study....
Eels always look like they just told a joke, and are waiting for a response.
smeag
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Well, if you don't have a coach, you'll have a tougher time getting all of these materials. I really don't know what to say, except that the #1 (unofficially) ranked UILer as of now, Bobby Shen, has no coach, I believe.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby Capybara » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Capybara: Largest living rodent in the world. Adult capybaras may grow to 130 centimeters (4.3 ft), and weigh up to 65 kg (140 lb).
Key feature: Their front legs have four fingers and hind legs have three.
Capybara
Typical User

Postby nsguy1350 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:56 am

You know Bobby? You go to Dulles (or whatever school he goes to, one of the major ones that always wins State)?
Also, you guys stay until 7:30, for UIL I assume? Each team gets max 1 hr after school each week, so people have to practice at home. Unfortunately, that usually isn't the case, and our teams aren't very good (well, they are good enough to dominate or win Invitationals most of the time, but come on, INVITATIONALS isn't saying much.)
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby Capybara » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Capybara: Largest living rodent in the world. Adult capybaras may grow to 130 centimeters (4.3 ft), and weigh up to 65 kg (140 lb).
Key feature: Their front legs have four fingers and hind legs have three.
Capybara
Typical User

Postby nsguy1350 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Nope, Monday is nothing, Tuesday is 1hr of NS, Wednesday is 1 hr of CS/CA, Thursday is 1 hr of SC/MA. The thing is, the periods start late and often end early, so really like 30-45 min, of informal 'study' time, where people don't even really focus on the event, instead talking about random things, doing homework, or going over tests instead of learning new material. This gives, sometimes, around 30 min of practice PER WEEK. I think that's pitiful, and it's no wonder that our school can't produce any legitimate competition past District. The system is broken. Of course, there are plenty of academic things that keep people busy, but I'm sure people, at least some people, can find the time to focus on UIL for a couple of hours a week, at least.

To give you an idea of the scores, go to the resulter at www.texasmath.org/Resulter.html, go to District 9/Region 2 5A, and pick an event. My school is the Science and Engineering Magnet.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Return to Calculator Applications