[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Better tips for practicing?

Better tips for practicing?

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

Better tips for practicing?

Postby BlasianAsian » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Alright. In the time I've taken these tests, I've noticed a couple of things...

Number Crunchers? Anybody can do those. The most I've missed are 2, mostly ones, sometimes 0s when I don't feel tired.

All stated and geometry on pgs 1 and 2 I can do, unless there's some thing in my brain that doesn't quite click, like the 'boot' problem.

Then we reach page 3. On this page, the geometry's I can all do. But the stated...the most I can usually get is 1/3 to 2/3 of them. There's always that one where I have no idea how to set up the equation, etc, etc. Is there any pattern to these problems to where I can anticipate what structure they use so I can practice them? They always seem quite random, and quite frankly, I like structured things.

Pg4 is where the going gets a little tougher. I usually can only do 1/3 to 0 stated on this page, and geometry is usually 1 to 2.

Then pg 5. Usually 1 to 0 geometries, and 2 - 3 stated since these are the ones that have some sort of format.

Pg 6 - 1 to 2 Stated, 1 to 0 geometries...

So, yeah. That's my spill. Any tips for pages 3 to 5? Page 6 is where I usually run out of time. I don't even do page 7, 'cause that's like...BEYOND high school, lol.
Num Sense: -320
Calculator: -140
Math: -120
Science: -69696969696969
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Re: Better tips for practicing?

Postby 007math » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:24 pm

You don't do page 7 at all? Those 5 crunchers are an easy 25 points.
3rd Place State Mathematics 5A 2012
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Oh yeah, I do those. I mean the word stated and geometry ones...
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Well, not all of page 7 is beyond high school. There are a couple things not taught in a regular geometry course, but this isn't multivariable calculus or anything.
Study guide is all. It's definitely worth learning. I learned 49/50 today (well, I knew a couple beforehand). There is one left: the last stated problem where Fabens and Kevin posted solutions. I have to determine which solution is better and memorize it.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Ah, well, I don't think there's anytime for me to learn any of the study guide. There's only a 20% chance that a problem will show up? Hmmm....
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby 007math » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of doing BlasianAsian's thinking now. Unless #66 is going to be one of the easy study guide problems that you can do without having to know a specific formula, I'm not going to be attempting. I'm focusing on understanding those scaling problems better and just getting more of the "inside" problems since that can get a 250+ which I'm happy with.

EDIT: Just realized, I'm competing against you BlasianAsian!

EDIT2: Regarding that 20% probability: it's actually less i think :P
3rd Place State Mathematics 5A 2012
007math
Incessant Spammer

Postby Shawn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:11 am

Page 3 is in my experience the hardest stated on the whole exam, page 4 is slightly easier. For practice, I would suggest learning to do the easy calculus problems and studying physics, from your questions on here I would say those are probably the two areas that you are weakest on? I would really suggest a focus on page 4, these problems seem to be more similar than page 3. Page 5 geometry are rough generally, so with limited time I say hope that you already know. Page 6 you said 0-1 stated? This is really odd, you should be able to easily pick up the computational calculus (56) and matrix (58), as well as often times the geometry calculus (59) even if you don't know calculus I can quickly tell you how to do these. Overall just keep practicing (that is where page 3 can become very familiar) and posting problems on here that you don't know until regional and I will see what I can do to help you out. In the end you just need to see problems.
Shawn
Determined Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 am

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Oh man, a Flower Mound kid? I'm screwed. D=

Nah, I said 1 to 2 stated on pg 6, namely 56 and 58 I can do since they're so standerdized, but 57 is one of those random throw in ones...

Ok. So just keep solving problems are practicing. I guess that works...
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Return to Calculator Applications