New to Calculator

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

New to Calculator

Postby murali0298 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Hey.
I think I will be doing Calculator next year.
I have heard about HP calculator and all but what is the best way to improve my score.
I have done a few tests but I got like around the 60s.
Any ways/recommendations for how to begin?
I am a EDIT: SOPHOMORE (Summer has begun and Freshman year is OVER) and I am human. I don't think anyone can refute that - No Counterarguement!
If they do...well....i don't know if that's going to happen!
murali0298
Determined Spammer

Re: New to Calculator

Postby rcoker7 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Calculator is one of the most strategy-based tests of them all, so you'll need to develop your own. There's a few general rules to follow though.
1. Do number crunchers(the first 5 problems on each page) first, at least while you're a beginner. I don't know of anyone that doesn't do this.
2. Figure out certain types of problems that appear on every single test, and how to do them. This can save you a lot of time. Good ones to know are #48-this is an equation that you can solve on your calculator quickly. #58- matrix problem
#46-scaling problem, or a problem that has you set up ratios of volumes/surface area, mass/length, etc. There's others but I can't think of all of them right now.
3. While you're still a beginner, be sure to stop doing number crunchers after a while to give you time to do the stated/geometry. Remember, the scoring is like number sense. Skipped problems count off!
4. Once you are able to consistently do all the crunchers quickly(10-15 minutes), learn how to do the repeaters(last 5 problems). These problems can be found on the uil website and change every year, but you want to memorize how to solve each type.
5. Accuracy>speed. Don't go too fast, or you might enter something wrong into the calculator, giving a wrong answer.
6. practice, A LOT. Like any other test, this one requires a lot of practice to improve.
If you do these things you should see good results given time and practice. There's probably more strategies, but you'll figure those out on your own.
Region scores
NS: 368
CALC: 308
MATH: 318
SCIENCE: 232(32,96,104)
rcoker7
Determined Spammer

Re: New to Calculator

Postby murali0298 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:16 am

Thank you rcoker7.
I will try all the strategies and see for my scores to improve!
I am a EDIT: SOPHOMORE (Summer has begun and Freshman year is OVER) and I am human. I don't think anyone can refute that - No Counterarguement!
If they do...well....i don't know if that's going to happen!
murali0298
Determined Spammer

Return to Calculator Applications