SD Questions

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

SD Questions

Postby 101dalmatians » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:58 pm

I just had a question about whether SD questions can be represented as decimals.
Meaning suppose the key says 45 (SD 2) Then do you count decimals right or what?
I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Re: SD Questions

Postby darksaber21 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:25 pm

SD questions can be represented by decimals, it just depends on what the number of SD is required for the question.
Like say the answer needs to be in four SD, and the answer you obtained on the calculator is like 623.5468 or something. You would write 623.5 as your answer. If the answer needs to be in two SD, however, you would write it as 620 or 6.2 x 10^2. 620 can be either 2 SD or 3SD (trailing zeros with no decimal point), but it still works in this case. You cannot add a decimal at all, much less add zeros after the decimal, as for each digit past the decimal, you add another SD. So 620. has three SD, and 620.000 has six SD, and if the answer asked for two SD, it would be wrong both ways. You still get three points if you get it right, however. You just lose opportunity points for wrong SD, that's all.

Only integer problems always have non-decimal answers, as the answers need to be integers (hence called integer problems)
Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
MTHS - Class 5A, District VII, Region I
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Return to Calculator Applications