[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - 12F

12F

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

12F

Postby calcgal » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 am

Can someone help with these problems?

12-F 57 A conical vat is 2 m tall and 1 m in diameter. It sits on the ground on its base. The initially empty vat is filled with water such that the water height changes at a constant rate of 0.1 m/s. What is the rate of change of the water volume when the water height is 1.3 m? (The units for the solution is m^3/s)

I got .0332, but the answer key says .00962

I'm also getting the wrong answer for the geometry problem 12F-60. I got 1150, but the key says 993.

Thanks!
calcgal
Typical User

Re: 12F

Postby 101dalmatians » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby Fredfredburger » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm

Concerning 57, You differentiated the volume of a cone, but since its base is on the ground it's actually a frustum. The radius of your first base is 1/2 m and the top radius you can find using the scaling principle you used for the cone. The answer is approximately .0962.
MIT '17
Fredfredburger
Determined Spammer

Postby calcguy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 pm

12F-57 is a related rates problem. Volume = πh/3[0.5² + (0.5 - h/2)² + 0.5(0.5 - h/2)]
dV/dt = π/4(h² - 2h + 1) dh/dt
Plug in h = 1.3 and dh/dt = 0.1 and you get dV/dt = 0.00707. Either the answer key is wrong or I made a mistake somewhere.

12F-60. The 753 is a tangent segment so it is a leg of the right triangle with x, the side of the square, as the hypotenuse, and R, the radius of the sector, as the other leg. Set the square area equal to the sector area: x² = 0.75πR² which gives R = 0.651x.
Now use the Pythagorean theorem: x² - (0.651x)² = 753² which gives x = 993.
calcguy
Typical User

Postby darksaber21 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
MTHS - Class 5A, District VII, Region I
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Return to Calculator Applications