[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - So, now that UIL "C" is available...

So, now that UIL "C" is available...

I can do anything, as long as I have my handy-dandy Calculator.

So, now that UIL "C" is available...

Postby MistaPotta » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:36 am

Any interesting observations on the test?
~MP
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Postby Quelloquialism » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:28 am

After intense dissection and examination of the test, I made one startling discovery.

It had lots of numbers on it--even more numbers than my last English essay had.

...yeah, I haven't noticed anything significant. Most of it was pretty straightforward and such.
Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby mathslug » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:48 pm

I've noticed that this test looks almost nothing like the other 5 TMSCA tests we've seen so far. It had questions that seemed a little more UIL compatable. Anyway, I think that the questions in the 26-28 and 36-38 were a bit more difficult than usual, but otherwise, I'd say that the test was actually easier than other ones, especially since I scored close to my all-time high score, so yeah.

Zack
Last edited by mathslug on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby Kurt » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 am

I think the test was a bit more difficult too. I had 8 out of 70 unanswered by the end of the test (I took it on my own, my school didn't go to a UIL C meet), and got a 262 on it.

However, I did better on punches than usual - maybe the multiple fonts used on TMSCA tests was screwing me up more than I thought. The S&G were a bit harder though in my opinion.

I've got a bit of a rant about one question in particular though - #47 (the data entry problem). It says that the two quantities are inversely proportional, but I guess I don't see how they possibly could be.
If one quantity goes to infinity (as the question says), shouldn't the other go to zero? The only exception to this (that I can see) is if there is a constant being ADDED on...but in that case, wouldn't they not be proportional? I do get their answer if I assume a constant is added on, but I don't understand how that is a valid assumption based upon the "proportionality".
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby bradp » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:31 pm

1-5 number crunchers = 4 negative answers, 1 positive answe
11-15 = same
21-25 = 4 positive, 1 neg
31-35 = 4 positive 1 neg
41-45 = 4 positive, 1 neg
coincidence?

on #16... it gives a negative answer for percent error. I've always seen absolute values in percent error formulas, whatever :\

scored 169 First time using RPN on a calc test (or any test for that matter) - got to 46, skipped 5 stated and 1 geo

Do you guys with enough speed do all the number crunchers and then go back and do the stated/geo? or do you go in order?
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby AuSmith » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:55 pm

Yea, most people do the crunchers first. Then, some people work stated & geo in sequence and some people do all the geometry they can do before the stated. Does anybody know what a good crunch time is? Or a novice one?
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby Quelloquialism » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 pm

I heard some kids from Southwest something could do the old punches in under 10 minutes. And, their calculators would break since they went so fast?
AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby mathslug » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:34 am

Haha, thats hilarious, though I wouldnt doubt it. About 6 years ago, those Southwest guys were unstopable. I saw about a million calculator trophies in their math and science room when I went to their contest last year. Finishing the crunchers in under 10 minutes on the old version of the test is just insane. I still have problems getting my crunchers done under 15 minutes, so yeah.

Zack
mathslug
Determined Spammer

Postby bradp » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:24 pm

I finished the 06B number punchers in 18:45.

You can count that as a novice time, AuSmith. :D
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby hhhsmath06 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:01 pm

as pointless as those number crunchers are...they have to be there, otherwise it wouldn't be a "calculator apps" test...

for the new test, i can finish in 10...usually around 9 min 30 sec, and miss about 2?? and i think that's about avg in terms of state level competitions (in terms of speed); so i would say 8min 30 sec would be a good time for the new test?

as much as i # at s+g, i still think they are what this contest is all about.

q
hhhsmath06
Random Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:15 pm

From "Calculator: A Starter's Kit" by Leo Ramirez
"Using an RPN calculator and applying many of the techniques which I will present later Juan Raul Lopez was doing the "number crunchers" in approximately 13 minutes. By 1989, my top student Homero Gutierrez had lowered that time to 8 minutes 47 seconds. In 1992, George Lopez set the team record at 8 minutes and 20 seconds."

under 9 minutes on an old test? seems almost farfetched.
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby Dunderwood » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 am

Under 9 on the old tests isn't that far fetched. I was consistently under 10 minutes by the end of my senior year, but I never practiced as much as Mr. Ramirez's earlier students did. A lot of the top guys from that era focused exclusively on math team stuff. McHi was large enough back then that Mr. Ramirez could field a team of people who didn't have to worry about band or sports or other extracurriculars.
Dunderwood
Typical User

Return to Calculator Applications