Need some general info-insight for my 4th grader

What could be so hard. It's a multiple-choice test for Pete's sake.

Need some general info-insight for my 4th grader

Postby prieto412 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Hello,

My very bright 9 year old son has been nominated to try out for the Mathematics UIL at his school.

I am really hoping he gets this for so many reasons but, I am really hoping he will be able to make some new friends as he is having a tough time this year. He is very intellectual and most kids just "don't get him".

I did not get much information on UIL other than a permission sheet. Everything I can find on line pertains to high school meets.

I am hoping someone here could give me a little bit more information on their experience with this.

Also, if anyone could point me in the right direction on study material so he is well prepared for his try out that would be great!

Thanks to any and all who can help me out!

Sincerely,

A Concerned Mom in TX :)
prieto412
Typical User

Re: Need some general info-insight for my 4th grader

Postby prieto412 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:02 pm

If it helps at all after re reading the letter it is for the number sense division
prieto412
Typical User

Re: Need some general info-insight for my 4th grader

Postby MistaPotta » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:09 pm

There are two books you should get for your son to learn more about the contest and how to succeed in it.

A+ Developing Middle School Number Sense Skills - which you can buy through the UIL at this link: http://utdirect.utexas.edu/txshop/item_ ... chosen=000

No Sense in Mathematics, which you can buy from the author, Don Skow. His e-mail is dskow@utpa.edu

These books are a wonderful start. Hope your son gets a good appreciation for the beauty of mathematics underlying Number Sense.

TDP.
Irrelevant since 2007.
MistaPotta
<sigh> No, I haven't uploaded that yet...

Return to UIL Mathematics