[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Random Math Problem

Random Math Problem

What could be so hard. It's a multiple-choice test for Pete's sake.

Random Math Problem

Postby chrishuff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Julia has absolutely no knowledge of physics whatsoever. To avoid getting a zero on the physics portion of the UIL Science test, she decides to gamble and guess answer choices in an attempt to score points on that section of the test. Knowing that the probability of guessing the correct answer to a question is 20%, and that getting 5 questions right while getting 15 questions wrong is breaking even, what is the probability and the odds of her scoring above a zero on the physics section of the test? Would the probability and/or the odds change if she guessed all A's, B's, C's, D's, or E's for all 20 physics questions on the test?
Christopher Huff
Juan Seguin High School Alumni '12
Retired officially as of 4-21-2012 (Well, I should say its the complete end of my UIL Academics career)

Texas A&M University - Class of 2016
chrishuff
Incessant Spammer

Re: Random Math Problem

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Hmm... you made this up.
I thought I had a solution, but I'm going to have to reconsider it.
I'll try to figure it out later.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby chrishuff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Christopher Huff
Juan Seguin High School Alumni '12
Retired officially as of 4-21-2012 (Well, I should say its the complete end of my UIL Academics career)

Texas A&M University - Class of 2016
chrishuff
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 pm

If you get 20% right, on average, you should lose 8 points and gain 6. This is -2 for every 5, or a -8 average. That should be enough to deter them.
However, if you get 2 more right, you're positive. You could also get 2 more wrong and go -16.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Why would you need to explain it to them via math problem? You could always use good old common sense.

Eliminate three answers, guess.

Other than that, not worth it.
Num Sense: -320
Calculator: -140
Math: -120
Science: -69696969696969
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Eliminate two, you get a good chance. Eliminate 1, you're breaking even.
Eliminate none, you're at a loss. Eliminate 3, you're doing well.
Hopefully you can eliminate 4.
Don't eliminate 5!!!
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Life hates me, so I usually don't guess. Esp on science. God.

I remember I took a social studies test.

Which state has the lowest alcohol consumptions rate?
A. Utah
B. Some Random Place
C. Kentucky
D. Another Random Place
Hmm... which one, which one?
It CAN'T be Utah, where all the mormons are, can it?!
Facepalm. I picked the fried chicken. Epic fail.

This is what happens when you live under a rock. I just listened to the song, "I'm awesome", a couple of weeks ago. Shame on me.
Num Sense: -320
Calculator: -140
Math: -120
Science: -69696969696969
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:41 pm

My rock is bigger and heavier than yours :p
I don't consider myself too nerdy.. you know, besides doing UIL (not the typical nerd voice, or dress, etc.), but I'm definitely not your jock-type.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Return to UIL Mathematics