[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - how much do you rely on your calculator

how much do you rely on your calculator

What could be so hard. It's a multiple-choice test for Pete's sake.

0-10 questions
13%
11-20 questions
13%
21-30 questions
27%
31-40 questions
13%
41-50 questions
13%
51-60 questions
7%
Wait, we can use calculators on math?
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 pm

math tests would actually be good if it werent for the calculator, but just wondering much do you use it

i use my 89 for all solvers, factoring, and calculus

and then 83 for all ugly radicals and stuff and #1, all and all i use my calculator on about 30 to 40 questions

though use it to solve about 10-15 questions completely (like that is all my work)
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:16 pm

15-20 problems... i use my ns skills most of the time.
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:20 pm

stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:24 pm

let me go count on the regional test...

~25 that i would use my calculator on..
probably 15 for just small calculations, the other 10 to do the whole problem

although my NS ego may be causing some of those numbers to decrease
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:25 pm

stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:26 pm

well i did miss 8 :( problems on that test...
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:27 pm

stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:29 pm

bradp
Perfectionist

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:31 pm

stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:34 pm

kingwood will destroy clements @ science olymp tomorrow and saturday
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:35 pm

stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby bradp » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:36 pm

bradp
Perfectionist

Postby ZachB » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 pm

Well, I generally type everything in the calculator just to be sure, so I use it on about 40 problems a test. I only fully rely on it for about 10-15 though.
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:57 pm

stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby Kurt » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:41 am

I use the HP to do most problems that require any arithmetic at all...and use the 89 mostly for solver type problems. I occasionally use it for integration as well if I know I can do it faster on the calculator then in my head.
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby ZachB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:24 am

I still use an 84 for graphing purposes. I got an 89 in February but I'm scared to switch over because theres still problems I wouldn't know how to do on the 89, so I think its better to stick with the 84 until after state. I hate the fact pretty much everybody has an 89 and knows how to use it well; I'm pretty sure they provide a distinct advantage to those that have them (you don't even have to know math if you use one!).
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby ZachB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 am

Moreover, I use my HP too much for crunching, so I couldn't just use the 89 and the 84. If only we could have 3 calculators...
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:02 am

I number sense the math test.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby AuSmith » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:46 pm

AuSmith
Grizzled Old Veteran

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:01 pm

well if there weren't calculators the math test would actually be challenging...because there are alot of concepts that are trivialized with the use of the calculator (trig,calculus,factorizations)...dr. white has made the test very calculatorable which pretty tests your calculator skills not your math skills
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby bradp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:36 pm

hey, why dont we complain about how horrible uil math is in every thread possible?
bradp
Perfectionist

Postby mathpimp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Yes, let's do that.

I hate UIL Math because sometimes you actually have to write things down! I mean, like I said earlier, I number sense a lot of it but still, like you can't do cos(21. whatever mentally). I hate writing stuff down for the labor, and punching it into the calculator because of my inability to hit the right buttons.

If it all stays in my head it's just better that way, so Math drools Number Sense rules. That's all there is to it guys.
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 pm

idk number sense is pretty lame too

who can do pointless calculations the quickest and most accurately
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby mathpimp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Let me ask you, what gets the ladies more?

Option 1:

I can do boring trig stuff with my calculator!

Option 2:

I want you 112x213 times.

(A few seconds pass)

Which by the way equals 23856.[/tex]
mathpimp
Incessant Spammer

Postby stupidityismygam » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:03 pm

well the UIL calculator is also very lame...who can memorize the best (oooh i cant i cant) and type into a calculator accurately...

what would be the most impressive...would be being able to do her homework for her quickly which isn't that hard since United States mathematics education is quite lame...
stupidityismygam
Ubiquitous Spammer

Next

Return to UIL Mathematics