[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 232: chdir(): No such file or directory (errno 2)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 235: fopen([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.tex): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 236: fputs() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 237: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, bool given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 280: copy(ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.png): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 281: chmod(): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 295: chdir(): No such file or directory (errno 2)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 297: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.tex): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 298: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.aux): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 299: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.log): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 300: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.dvi): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 301: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.ps): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/latexrender/class.latexrender.php on line 302: unlink([ROOT]/latexrender//tmp/ed533514d73ccde2ea96d423c0993895.png): No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Good Chemistry Score?

Good Chemistry Score?

Two hours? That's <EM>PLENTY</EM> of time.

Good Chemistry Score?

Postby ajkcorner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:42 pm

For someone's first year in UIL (and finding out only a week before the UIL test :shock: ), what would be a good score on the chemistry section?
ajkcorner
Typical User

Postby polymath25 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:23 pm

Depends on the chemistry classes you've taken. I mean if you've never taken chemistry before in your life, a score of 12 seems about right. But if your in AP chem for example, then the test should somewhat reflect what you've studied in the class, so i'd say about 60. The other half of the chemistry score comes from knowing what types of questions to expect and studying those.
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby ajkcorner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:25 pm

Well, I've had a normal chem class (I'm a sophomore) so I should probably get higher than a 12 :) But I've only known I was taking the test for about a week, so I'm hoping for a 60+, but not too high. Thanks for the reply.
ajkcorner
Typical User

Postby peterliang » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:46 pm

why dont u take practice tests and find out
HI/LO

NS 240/86
CA 255/a really # score
Math 272/208
SC 224/117
CS 232/188
peterliang
Determined Spammer

Postby ajkcorner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:38 pm

I've done what practice tests I could find, but I don't have the time (or money) to order more. As I look through the tests, I can see trends in the questions. For example, every test has rate of reaction or quantum number questions. I study what I can, but I'm afraid that I won't remember anything the day of the test.

I'm aiming for a 60+, that's all I can say!
ajkcorner
Typical User

Postby MisterC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 pm

If you take a look at the download section of this site, you can find the district, regional and state test for the past two years, along with the answer key. Just print those out, take the practice test and score it.

BTW, a 60 for a sophomore is a good goal to shoot for.

Good luck at distict.
MisterC
Typical User

Postby Kurt » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Science is one of the few UIL events that having taken the appropriate classes is probably actually the best preparation for it. While all of the math/science tests have types of questions that appear frequently, science is the event where those majority of those questions are usually taught in your science classes.

I don't study at all for UIL Science (beyond a bit of reading occasionally in bio, since I haven't finished AP Bio yet lol), but having taken AP Chem and AP Physics already has helped tremendously with those sections of the science test, in my experience (I usually get over a 100 in at least one of those sections per test).

If you want to study chemistry for UIL, you definitely need to know balancing equations, bonding structures, rate laws, equilibrium/pH stuff, gas laws, and the free energy/enthalpy/entropy equation ( [unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula]). Questions with those concepts typically occur on almost every test.

Of course knowing more concepts is definitely useful, such as solubility rules, atomic models and properties, electronic/molecular geometry, etc. (I know I'm missing a lot, these are just the types of UIL questions I can think of right now.)

And good luck at district. :)
Kurt
Incessant Spammer

Postby ajkcorner » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Thanks everyone... I'll try to do my best this Saturday.

I tried to tell my chem teacher that no amount of studying would help me make up the experience gap, but he was dead set on me trying... who knows, the stars may be aligned for me!

I'm actually pretty lucky in that we've just finished going over thermodynamics, so I know about the free energy equation, enthalpy, entropy, etc. I'm also going to try to learn writing net ionic reactions and VSEPR, as well as brushing up on colligative properties.

See y'all later.
ajkcorner
Typical User

Postby Quelloquialism » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Quelloquialism
Celebrated Spammer

Postby ajkcorner » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:36 pm

We went through all the most important gas laws, so I think I've already learned Graham's law.

One question:

I've never had physics (much less AP Physics), so should I even bother studying for that portion? Or should I wait until I've had a physics class?
ajkcorner
Typical User

Postby Sternhund » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:38 pm

THIS IS AN AWESOME SIG
Sternhund
Typical User

Postby polymath25 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Sometimes there's a few physics questions that just involve conversions or units that you can get, but without having a physics class or much study time at all, it's difficult to get very far. If you want, looking at momentum and kinematics might help, but other that that i'd save your time for bio/chem.
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby MisterC » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Definitely take a look at the physics. There is usually one or two questions that you can answer by looking at the units and doing dimensional analysis.
MisterC
Typical User

Postby ajkcorner » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:08 pm

I don't know if your UIL competitions have this, but there are also prizes for top scorers based on section.

How high a chem score do you think I would need to medal?
ajkcorner
Typical User

Postby polymath25 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:47 pm

Top bio, chemistry and physics get awards and they get to go to region (assuming they didn't get to go anyways for top three overall or top team). Plus they get points (i think 3) for your schools overall score.
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby polymath25 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:52 pm

Medal in chemistry could range anywhere from 40-120, but most often it's around 80+, though of course it depends on who you are competing against.
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby ajkcorner » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:58 pm

So only the top score is recognized? There aren't silver or bronze medals? I knew I was being too euphemistic!
ajkcorner
Typical User

Postby polymath25 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:06 pm

Yeah, you get gold or nothing on specific science score. I'm pretty sure. It's been a year and I'm not 100% positive on that. If there was another award it would only be silver and no bronze, but yet again i don't think they even give second place recognition.
polymath25
Random Spammer

Postby ajkcorner » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:52 pm

Well, I had my district competition today, and I was surprised at how many questions I was able to answer on bio and chem. Of course, I couldn't compete with all the people who have had the AP courses, but it was definitely a learning experience. Thanks for all the advice!
ajkcorner
Typical User

Return to UIL Science