How to Study for Science

Two hours? That's <EM>PLENTY</EM> of time.

How to Study for Science

Postby nsguy1350 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:14 am

Alright, as we all know, there are three sections on the Science test: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. How should I go about studying these topics?
For Biology, I have a school-issued biology textbook, which I plan on reading thoroughly. What other (onl-ine) sources should I use to help prepare me for the questions specifically found on the Science test?
For Chemistry, I'm hoping that a Pre-AP chemistry course can guide me through most, and then maybe some # research can help me with the rest. What AP material is found on the chemistry section that I should look up #, specifically for the UIL Science test?
For Physics, I plan on learning all of the electricity and magnetism through # sources, reviewing my Pre-AP Physics textbook, and learning through class. Anything else I should focus on?

I'd like to take 10th Science at TMSCA State this year. Hopefully, NS, Math, and Calculator don't suffer much because of this. This will be a lot of material to digest!
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Re: How to Study for Science

Postby smeag » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:57 am

I don't waste my time with pre AP, I just go to the AP stuff. I know all the pre AP because I studied it during 8th grade summer. So as of right now I have a: pre - AP chemistry (#), AP Biology (Intense), and AP Physics (Great!)...
So ya since you are probably older than me(what grade are you in?) you should go to AP if you know the basics.
Eels always look like they just told a joke, and are waiting for a response.
smeag
Incessant Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 am

I'm a sophomore, but I don't have any AP Materials right now. I'll be taking both AP Chem and Physics next year though, so that won't be a problem. I'll try to find some good things #.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby chrishuff » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:05 pm

What I have going for me:

PAP Biology (Freshman Year)
PAP Chemistry (Sophomore Year)
PAP Physics (Junior Year)
AP Chemistry (Junior Year)
AP Biology (Senior Year)
Scientific Research & Design (Senior Year)

By far, Chemistry is my rock solid field. I don't have much worries in this field.
I'm currently taking AP Biology, that should help me out as well.
Scientific Research & Design will turn into a UIL Science Class starting March.

It's a good thing when your PAP Chemistry, AP Chemistry, Scientific Research & Design, and UIL Science coach is the same teacher :)

What I have going against me:

A schedule conflict that prevented me from taking AP Physics senior year

I am just left with a level of PAP knowledge and absolutely nothing else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How I study:

A lot of independent work in AP Biology my teacher gives us
I have a whole bunch of Powerpoints created courtesy of my UIL Science coach. Biology & Chemistry topics only, unfortunately not Physics.
Reviewing all my PAP Physics notes - They'll get me somewhere
Reading the Physics book of course!!! Easy 6, 12, 18 (Possibly 24 or 30) points! [Depending on how many book questions are on the test]
Attending the "Spring Break final practice meet" my coach has for the team
Christopher Huff
Juan Seguin High School Alumni '12
Retired officially as of 4-21-2012 (Well, I should say its the complete end of my UIL Academics career)

Texas A&M University - Class of 2016
chrishuff
Incessant Spammer

Postby Salvadoramerican » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:51 am

The # review is pretty good, for physics my best subject i have two different textbook a college level text from my cousin and a AP text from my physic teacher. I studie mathematic portion of the tests while i study for math since it reinforces the mathematical concept and makes it easier to deal with and all the text fact seperate.
MacArthur HS-Irving
Region 1 5A

Officially retire: It was an honor to compete against Dominic Yurk and his school, Paschal High(I attended Freshmen year there), in Science, gave a good fight.
It was a pleasure to compete with everyone in math thanks guys
Salvadoramerican
Determined Spammer

Return to UIL Science