[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - PANCREAS.

PANCREAS.

Two hours? That's <EM>PLENTY</EM> of time.

PANCREAS.

Postby NOPE.AVI » Thu May 17, 2012 8:31 pm

I'm bored.

Someone tell me as much as you know about the human pancreas without using any outside references.

Go.
What's the hardest thing about this signature?
NOPE.AVI
Typical User

Re: PANCREAS.

Postby nsguy1350 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm

It's an organ!
It is both an exocrine/endocrine gland.
It produces bile which can be stored in the gallbladder.
It has alpha cells which produce glucagon and beta cells that produce insulin.
It is located in the abdomen of the human body.
It secretes bile into the small intestine (the first section, the duodenum, I think) where it serves to emulsify fats, making them easier to digest.
It starts with a p.
The second letter is an a.

Yea I really don't know that much! D:
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby PokémonMaster » Thu May 17, 2012 8:52 pm

le pancreas... ummm...ummm...uuummmmm...

It's called a pancreas?

This is why I don't do Science UIL. :P
UIL C 2013-14

NS: 298
Calculator: 240
Math: 282
Science: disheartening
PokémonMaster
Incessant Spammer

Postby NOPE.AVI » Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm pretty sure the liver makes bile, not the pancreas.
NOPE.AVI
Typical User

Postby nsguy1350 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:09 pm

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby EnglishGuy1350 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:21 pm

It gives us diabetes
EnglishGuy1350
Typical User

Postby murali0298 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:33 am

The pancreas also produces the Parathyroid hormone (PT Hormone) that maintains the blood calcium levels....
I am a EDIT: SOPHOMORE (Summer has begun and Freshman year is OVER) and I am human. I don't think anyone can refute that - No Counterarguement!
If they do...well....i don't know if that's going to happen!
murali0298
Determined Spammer

Postby NOPE.AVI » Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Are you for serious?
NOPE.AVI
Typical User

Postby murali0298 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Yes.
I am a EDIT: SOPHOMORE (Summer has begun and Freshman year is OVER) and I am human. I don't think anyone can refute that - No Counterarguement!
murali0298
Determined Spammer

Postby NOPE.AVI » Tue May 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Well, then, I find it pretty coincidental that there are these glands that go by the name of the parathyroid glands. What a curious misnomer, to have the pancreas produce the parathyroid hormone and not the parathyroid glands!
NOPE.AVI
Typical User

Postby chrishuff » Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm

PTH is secreted by the PH, not the pancreas.

EDIT:

PTH= Parathyroid Hormone (PTH)
Parathyroid = PH [I should of used PT]
Last edited by chrishuff on Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher Huff
Juan Seguin High School Alumni '12
Retired officially as of 4-21-2012 (Well, I should say its the complete end of my UIL Academics career)

Texas A&M University - Class of 2016
chrishuff
Incessant Spammer

Postby murali0298 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Last edited by murali0298 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murali0298
Determined Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:11 pm

We SEMers don't know our glands very well, apparently.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby murali0298 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Hey. I thought I read about it in the 5 to 5 book. And Wesley, it is only me! I referred to the bio txt book after reading that the PT was not from pancreas and it was apparently from the PT gland. I dodn't know that until now - after AP test but they didn't ask about hormones on the AP test this year - so i was kind of lucky in a way!
murali0298
Determined Spammer

Postby chrishuff » Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 am

I'm glad you knew what I was talking about when I just typed in PH. I meant to type in PT, but my brain has already gone on vacation for the summer, before it will get worked harder than ever before in college.
Christopher Huff
Juan Seguin High School Alumni '12
Retired officially as of 4-21-2012 (Well, I should say its the complete end of my UIL Academics career)

Texas A&M University - Class of 2016
chrishuff
Incessant Spammer

Return to UIL Science