[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Physics b

Physics b

Two hours? That's <EM>PLENTY</EM> of time.

Physics b

Postby smeag » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Ok, has anyone here taken the ap physics b and did well on it?
Eels always look like they just told a joke, and are waiting for a response.
smeag
Incessant Spammer

Re: Physics b

Postby darksaber21 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:56 am

I don't think here is a good place in the forums per say to talk about that ("Chit Chat and Stuff" is a better place in my opinion), but to answer your question, I haven't taken the test yet. I'm taking the test in May, and Physics C (both). Both tests are not hard at all if you understand the material, although C involves a bit of calculus, but its usually just basic limits, derivatives, and integrals nearly all the time. So...

UIL science physics questions I think ask questions on a whole different level than does the AP questions do.

But, if I may ask, why are you asking?
Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
MTHS - Class 5A, District VII, Region I
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:47 pm

I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby darksaber21 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:15 pm

I see them as somewhat harder. The ap physics exam repeats the same questions all the time. So does the UIL tests, but not so much. But it is just an opinion.
Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby smeag » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 am

In response to darksaber, I was planning to take it this year during 10th grade. I was just wondering, because I am not taking the class currently, how I should prepare for the exam through self - study...
smeag
Incessant Spammer

Postby darksaber21 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Well, physics B does not really go into depth into many topics, and is all algebra based. So, I'd say first priority would be to study mechanics (as it is a big portion of the exam) for a while, from the basic 1-D kinematics to rotational/oscillating motion. Then move on to the basics of fluid mechanics, heat and gas laws (which is basically the same as in the AP chemistry course, just some different things here and there), then electricity and magnetism, waves, lights and mirrors, and lastly nuclear physics (which is basically the same as in the AP chemistry course, just some different things here and there). I would make sure on each topic that you know the concepts really well before trying to apply any math. And most of all, practice as many problems as possible. There are problems all over the internet, and the questions don't have to be from the AP exam (if the questions are harder than those on the test, then the AP exam should be easier for you).

Plus, there is no rush. You can take the class next year if you want more experience. Most people take the exam as a senior anyway, so trying to take it now can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you look at it. If you have no experience in any physics class, I'd recommend taking the exam senior year. If you have, I'd practice plenty of problems from now until May, or even May of next year if you need more time.

If you need help with anything on the AP physics B or C exams you can post somewhere, or message me or anyone else who are well versed in physics.
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby smeag » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi,
You know how if you hold your finger over a straw, the liquid stays in even if you take it out of the container? I am trying to understand the forces behind this property.
However, I don't undestand how the pressure on the outside of the straw pushes the liquid upward nor how the air pressure inside the top of the straw pushes downward...
Can someone please explain these forces acting on the air between the liquid and the finger?
smeag
Incessant Spammer

Return to UIL Science