Easy Questions

Two hours? That's <EM>PLENTY</EM> of time.

Easy Questions

Postby thething2 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Ok, I'm a science idiot who can't score above 50 on most tests, so I need some help. Are there some incredibly easy problems on the test each time that you have to know one trick to get it done? I sometimes find some easy chemistry problems, and occasionally a halflife problem in physics. But physics looks really easy sometimes, but I just know nothing about it.

So what I'm asking is, what will give me some extra points to get me a top-10 placing this weekend(TMSCA state).
thething2
Determined Spammer

Re: Easy Questions

Postby BrianT » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:02 pm

edit: listen to zach and jscherm, they know what they are talking about.
Last edited by BrianT on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Done =)
BrianT
Random Spammer

Postby ZachB » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:08 pm

All I can suggest is read the physics keys to the UIL science tests. Also, you might look at a few tests and see which problems show up a lot and then find the formula to solve them in a physics book. But the problem with these methods is many of the problems on the physics are best solved by understanding the concepts at hand. If you get the opportunity, you should not only learn specific formulas, but also look into the following concepts:

Kinematics
Conservation of Energy
Newton's Laws (stuff with free boy diagrams)
Conservation of Momentum (elastic and inelastic collisions)
Rotational Motion (the rotational analogs of the same concepts listed above)
Oscillatory Motion
Electric Fields, Coulomb's Law, and Electric Potential
DC Circuits
Special Relativity

Other concepts that don't appear quite as much but still might be worth looking into:

Gravitation
Wave Motion
Thermodynamics
Optics
Magnetic Fields
Electromagnetic Waves

If you are just looking for a few extra points, you should look at how to work with newton's laws and conservation of energy because they show up a lot on the test.
ZachB
Determined Spammer

Postby BrianT » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:10 pm

ditto. lol
Done =)
BrianT
Random Spammer

Postby jscherm » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Just be sure to look at UIL keys rather than TMSCA - the latter tend to be somewhat lacking in explanation. Also, if you decide to take that approach, be SURE to note exceptions to the rules - ex., if you find a problem that uses the lens equation, note that the focal length can be positive or negative depending upon concavity. Following formulas blindly is an EASY way to lose points, especially on the more difficult TMSCA tests.

Edit: Lol Brian you give good advice too, don't delete it!
jscherm
Typical User

Postby BrianT » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:37 pm

lol, thanks jscherm, i'm honored... but i didn't consider the detrimental mistakes one could make by just memorizing formulas without the exceptions and whatever, and you are a much better science person and helper in general! ;)

Also, we're leaving early tomorrow morning for san antonio, so if I don't post anything between now and later, i want to wish everyone good luck! :)
Done =)
BrianT
Random Spammer

Postby thething2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:23 pm

I was hoping that there was a way to be good without studying much, but there must not be a way, and I was too late to actually get good at it. Now that TMSCA state is over, I'm done with science. I do Accounting normally, which I seem to do well in, so I never really took the time to be good at science. I did figure out a way to get a semi-decent score (for stupid people) in biology (by answering every question except mitosis/meiosis), and I got a some points in chemistry and physics, so I did well enough for my standards anyway.
thething2
Determined Spammer

Return to UIL Science