[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Aime grading

Aime grading

American Mathematics Contest & American Invitational Mathematics Examination. See for more information
Note:USAMO/IMO-level questions need to go in the Olympiad section.

Aime grading

Postby sxk1693 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

What happens when you have a solution that is not listed on the aops website. I did 2005 AIME#1 problem #6 and the website posted 3 alternative solutions. I still got the right numerical answer, but my solution did not match any of theirs. What happens in the real AIME if you have a solution that does not match the grading rubric, but your numerical answer is correct. Just for reference, I used vieta's formula thing on the problem and divided that by the real roots getting the product of the unreal roots. None of their solutions use vieta's formula.
HIGHS 2013 MEETS:
NS: 220(TMSCA STATE)
CA: 232(B)
MA: 274(District)
SC: 220(A)
CS: 212(VCM1)
sxk1693
Incessant Spammer

Re: Aime grading

Postby 101dalmatians » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:38 pm

I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby darksaber21 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:04 pm

^what 101dalmatians said.

Plus, it should be a multiple-choice test, and there is always multiple approaches to each problem, so if you get the right answer, whether by luck or not, you got it right. It wouldn't hurt to know the other methods though for future methods.
Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
MTHS - Class 5A, District VII, Region I
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:12 pm

I thought AIME was free response? Is it not?
I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby darksaber21 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 pm

Yeah, it was. I got it mixed up with something else. I feel pretty dumb now...

His answer should still be right regardless.
Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
MTHS - Class 5A, District VII, Region I
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Although I'm not sure, I think AIME is sort-of multiple choice: you have 1000 choices (0-999? maybe 1-999). I don't think they grade by solutions. Then again I've never done it, but I think that's how it works.

And even if you're in a proof-based competition, as long as you have a supported, strong solution, it shouldn't matter if it differs from the official solutions, as long as it's readable, understandable, easy to follow, etc. Some competitions even give special recognition if you have a brilliant or extremely insightful solution.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:47 pm

AIME is, I think, a grid-in scantron with 3 columns per question...you would probably have to match the solutions given exactly.
Class of 2015
Liberty HS, Frisco - 4A (District 9, Region II)

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm completely sure of failing the AMC.
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Return to AMC/AIME