[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
forum.virtualchallengemeets.com • View topic - Calculator Specializing

Calculator Specializing

A place to gripe and moan, or stand on your soapbox, or to vent and rave, or just say hi.

Calculator Specializing

Postby redhawk2015 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 pm

So I have noticed that there are quite a few schools with teams that are about average in NS and Math with the occasional really good person. But they are complete beasts in Calc and are constantly going for state champ team in that.

Ex: North Shore, Veterans Memorial, PSJA (? or something like that), etc.

But I can't seem to find very many schools that are like this, but are only really good in NS or Math and average at the other two. Why is there such a high number of teams that seem to specialize in calculator?
Class of 2015
Liberty HS, Frisco - 4A (District 9, Region II)

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Re: Calculator Specializing

Postby nsguy1350 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 am

In my opinion, Calculator is the easiest math event to get good in. For math, you need to know Calculus, number theory, geometry, etc, although not too in-depth. Many kids don't attend schools with a curriculum that would allow them to be very good in math without much practice and independent study. 60 questions in Math. Number sense is probably the hardest math event to get good at. A lot of it is just talent, and there are SO many tricks and techniques, of which many people are unaware of, making it seem hopeless or at least extremely difficult to get good at. 80 questions in 10 minutes can be intimidating.

For Calculator, there are 70 questions, 35 of which are number crunchers, which anyone with skill with an HP can tackle quickly. 35 down, 35 to go. There are 5 study guide questions, which are easy to do if you do the study guide. 30 left. I say anyone with basic geometry knowledge, including trig, and get the first three pages of geometry fairly easily. That leaves 24. Adding in the first two pages of stated gives you 18. The majority of the test doesn't require too much thought. To get the rest of the 18, you'll have to know a few more things, but if you can get them (e.g. interest, exponential growth, several calculus, scaling, solver, matrix, etc.) then you know most of the test. Many of those are not that difficult. Of course, there are always a few difficult questions, but the vast majority of people never get to those questions, so they are pretty much irrelevant for most anyways.

All of these factors are what make me think Calculator is the easiest event to specialize in, which explains schools like North Shore and PSJA.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:07 pm

NS is hard to get good at and you can't win if you don't have four nsguys or four bobby's (I assume that's a little too extreme - but you get my point)

MA is too competitive... Too many 340s and 338s - UGH - one reason I don't specialize in Math - cuz I really can't get THAT good... Every winning school has four bobby's or four 007maths

CA is competitive but it is much easier to become good at... I started CA in the first week of June and I got to a 200 in like mid. June! I'm sure that all schools have at least a few people who have a skill level of getting better at CA much better than that of mine..

SC is too much. You need to know a lot - I think - basically like Bio, Chem, Phys... You need to know AP stuff in order to place! I think in many high schools, AP for SC is done only in the last two yrs... So, basically juniors and seniors are candidates but half of them probably forgot all their Bio from the previous yrs (exaggeration - not all but not enough to ans. the qs on the test)...

HOWEVER, DULLES IS GOOD AT ALL (I would not side them for CA as very good but they are definitely one of THE BEST...)
I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Nah, I'd say number sense is easier. Just drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill and drill until you get it.

Working for me right now.
Num Sense: -320
Calculator: -140
Math: -120
Science: -69696969696969
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:21 pm

One really hard thing about NS is that you can't erase, do scratch work, or change your answers. In anything else, if you make a mistake, just go ahead and fix it. In NS, knowing you made a mistake can mess you up pretty badly. You're also under huge time pressure, which can affect you greatly as well. And don't forget the skipping penalty!
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:26 pm

I guess this signature really doesn't matter now that I know that the forum is going down soon...
101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby sxk1693 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm

HIGHS 2013 MEETS:
NS: 220(TMSCA STATE)
CA: 232(B)
MA: 274(District)
SC: 220(A)
CS: 212(VCM1)
sxk1693
Incessant Spammer

Postby darksaber21 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 pm

That's amazing.

However, totally possible it seems. To get away with some of that stuff anyway. It's not really something to brag about though, to me anyway (which is kinda ironic I guess considering I said "that's amazing" already, haha).
Now I know the stakes, and I'm willing to show what I gots. I will see you all at state for the first and final time, so let's end the year with a bang! :)
MTHS - Class 5A, District VII, Region I
darksaber21
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:20 pm

They're totally exaggerating. That was at an Invitational, by the way. Successful write-overs are basically nonexistent.
2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby redhawk2015 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Forget whether it was an Invitational or not, I'm still curious about how you managed to twist a 90 into a 45.
Class of 2015
Liberty HS, Frisco - 4A (District 9, Region II)

Top Scores This Year:
NS - 247 (Region) / CA - 268 (District) / MA - 338 (District) / SC - 184 (District)
redhawk2015
Determined Spammer

Postby 101dalmatians » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:46 pm

101dalmatians
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Does anyone do the thing where you skip over a problem you don't know and do scratchwork in that space for another problem and cross it out? I don't do it, but I was wondering if that is a legitimate strategy...?
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby nsguy1350 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 pm

2013 District 1/Region:
NS - 319/355
MA - 340/332
CA - 294/287
SC - 344/292
CS - 212/124 (fail)
nsguy1350
Ubiquitous Spammer

Postby sxk1693 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:17 pm

HIGHS 2013 MEETS:
SC: 220(A)
CS: 212(VCM1)
sxk1693
Incessant Spammer

Postby BlasianAsian » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:23 pm

That's actually pretty smart. But I'm not sure if the 9 pt loss is worth it, unless you have no idea how to do the problem.
BlasianAsian
Celebrated Spammer

Postby sxk1693 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:54 pm

HIGHS 2013 MEETS: